S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

***Official Vintage "Shoot the Breeze" Thread!***

Old 06-26-2005, 03:41 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by MsPerky,Jun 24 2005, 09:11 AM
Thanks for that post, Val...we all understand that people's lives and priorities change over time. There's no getting away from the inevitable. You devoted several years to participating in the site and meets, which is more than most do. I'm going to miss seeing you and +1 at events, but look forward to a big hurrah in OH. And if the C-ville meet gets organized, I'll definitely try to be there.
Yes, ditto that, Val. I hope you continue to participate on the board despite the reduced involvement mandate.

Frankly, there's nothing wrong with going through stages. I've been on and off since I joined up here. Good to keep folks informed of what you're going through, because this community does care.

Best wishes.
Old 06-26-2005, 03:43 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,528 Likes on 1,909 Posts

Originally Posted by mns2k,Jun 26 2005, 01:32 PM
Secondly, this is a rant, doesn't anyone on the other forums use spell check? I admit that I am, at best, a marginal speller which is why I rely on spell check. I assume that the rest of the world feels as though they are qualifiers in the National Spelling Bee.
I think it's partly an age thing too. My kids are both smart, A students but the way they all type with their friends and to each other, and play on-line computer games, like World of Warcraft, you'd never know it. It's short-hand to them. It's part of their generation.
Old 06-27-2005, 01:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyras,Jun 26 2005, 05:43 PM
I think it's partly an age thing too. My kids are both smart, A students but the way they all type with their friends and to each other, and play on-line computer games, like World of Warcraft, you'd never know it. It's short-hand to them. It's part of their generation.
Good point
Old 06-28-2005, 06:15 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,970 Likes on 1,756 Posts

From today's Wash Post...

The wife of British radio deejay Tim Shaw sold his Lotus Esprit Turbo on eBay for less than a dollar after her husband announced on-air that he would leave her and their two children for a model.

BBC News reports Hayley Shaw sold her husband's 25,000-pound ($45,833) luxury car for 50 pence, or 92 cents, within minutes of posting it on the online auction site. Her ad read, "I need to get rid of this car immediately -- ideally in the next two to three hours before my husband gets home to find it gone and all his belongings in the street."

Shaw admitted she was under the influence when she sold the car, but said, "I just wanted to get him back." She added, "There is no hope for reconciliation." No kidding.
Old 06-28-2005, 06:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And he was just joking about the model - he sounds like a UK version of Howard Stern.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/w...ds/4122842.stm
Old 06-28-2005, 12:28 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 823 Likes on 489 Posts

Everybody. Just checking in to say hi and let you guys know our 14 year old grandson was taken to the hospital last night very ill. He's been diagnosed with Type 1 (juvenile) diabetes. He's a little better today, but still in some crisis with ketoacidosis. He was at camp all last week and evidently became ill at camp, but thought it was just a bit of a bug. He'll be in the hospital several more days. We're optimistic that he'll be okay and will learn to self-inject, etc. and hopefully will be stabilized in a few days. He's in good spirits and is quite a trooper. No one in the family has ever had diabetes, so this is a bit of a shocker. If any of you have kids or know of kids with this disease, any input will be appreciated. We're on quite the learning curve right now and want to make this journey as painless as possible. Ky is anxious to get all better because he's been planning on joining us on the Buckeye Tour (at least for the bbq) .
Old 06-28-2005, 01:00 PM

Received 3,209 Likes on 1,859 Posts

Sorry to hear Val.

I have no personal experience with the disease, but a friend's son was diagnosed at 16.

He had a tough time accepting all that was necessary to take care of himself and keep his blood sugar under control.

I'm sure your grandson's doctors will see that he gets the proper education to take care of himself but you may have to give him the old pep talk now and again.
Old 06-28-2005, 02:23 PM

Is it treatable with diet, Val?
Old 06-28-2005, 02:44 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 823 Likes on 489 Posts

^^ NO -- they're saying his immune system totally destroyed the portion of the pancreas that produces insulin and his body is non-producing . He looked like death warmed over last night (color was horrible, he'd lost 15 pounds and he's thin anyway), but his color is back to normal today and he's on an insulin drip and having his blood checked every hour. He'll have to give himself shots and calculate based on his food intake and be on a sugarless diet for life along with only complex carbs, lots of veggies, fruits and low-fat. He's a little bummed, but says he's going to learn all that he can learn and take care of himself. He's very independent and is a straight A honors student. He's quite bright and was in the Odyssey of the Mind program last year. I'm telling him to keep up the science work and maybe he'll discover the cure!!
Old 06-28-2005, 03:54 PM

God. Well, I'm glad he's on the mend, Val. That's awful.

The thing to stress with him, if he's depressed, is that life is fragile and he's being given a second chance. In a way, he's lucky. A 14 year old is still growing, so it's gonna be tough for him. Sigh. Sometimes life really isn't fair.

Quick Reply: ***Official Vintage "Shoot the Breeze" Thread!***