S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

***Official Vintage "Shoot the Breeze" Thread!***

Old 06-23-2005, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hiya Lainey

I've been after her for over a year now to learn, and we've made a few attempts at it but she always was afraid of it. Now that all this health stuff has happened, she definitely wants to learn.

One thing I'm happy about is the car will become more of a fair-weather car as opposed to the daily driver/commuter car it's been for me, so she won't have to deal with bad weather/cold weather/winter driving issues, and the quirks of the S under those conditions.

Tom
Old 06-23-2005, 11:47 AM

Received 3,209 Likes on 1,859 Posts

Originally Posted by tomcatt,Jun 23 2005, 03:36 PM
Hiya Lainey

I've been after her for over a year now to learn, and we've made a few attempts at it but she always was afraid of it. Now that all this health stuff has happened, she definitely wants to learn.

One thing I'm happy about is the car will become more of a fair-weather car as opposed to the daily driver/commuter car it's been for me, so she won't have to deal with bad weather/cold weather/winter driving issues, and the quirks of the S under those conditions.

Tom
Tell her not to worry. Honda has extra clutches if she makes too many mis-shifts. It can be fixed!

I love to drive the "S" but I don't drive "like the boys and a few of our ladies" as I'm a bit afraid to "get bitten." I'm sure she will do fine and enjoy some time behind the wheel soon.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:17 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 823 Likes on 489 Posts

TC. Thanks for the update. You've been in my thoughts and I check in every day hoping to see an update from you. Good news on Hilly's driving!! I took my daughter out in it a few times and she managed to get the hang of it, but still would rather just cruise without dealing with a clutch, etc. Give her a big We wish you the very, very best.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:59 PM

Received 135 Likes on 73 Posts

Good to hear from you Tom!

Just let me know if you two want to stay over at our place on the way back.

Good luck to Hilly. She'll be bouncing off the rev-limiter with the best of them before you know it!

JonasM
Old 06-24-2005, 04:52 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 823 Likes on 489 Posts

We're looking forward to the Buckeye. As I mentioned last night in chat, this meet was carefully chosen since I've decided to stop doing the long-distance meets. +1 has been wonderful about my monopolizing our off-time for meets and after the long drives to get back home, he has to leave by 6:30 for work on Monday morning. His work days are long and with only a certain # of vacation days, we try to select their useage carefully. Every meet I've attended has used up at least one or two vacation days and taken us a minimum of 8 hours drive-time to attend, and most of the driving is on interstate highways which isn't a lot of fun. Since we live in somewhat of a rural area, we've always used some vacation time for trips to other cities to enjoy the theatre, symphony, museums, art galleries, etc. and other things we enjoy. We've had to pretty much stop those due to the FC events, SFs, and other meets. We miss our little "cultural" event trips. We always enjoyed going to to DC to visit places and exhibits of interest, down to Abingdon, Norfolk, Raleigh, etc. and those little trips have become a thing of the past. I'm a little bit sad about it, but at the same time have figured out that we can't do it all and I'd rather spend our time doing things together that we enjoy so much. It grieves me that our regional club has few meets near us and I really cannot justify taking +1s vacation time to drive long distances only to drive a little more, have such a short social time and then turn around and come back home. Our week at North Topsail this year was fabulous and we want to make that an annual event and it coincides with SF, so I can't justify a long interstate drive as opposed to an enjoyable time with my mate. The local Corvette Club has extended an invitation to me to join them (with the S car) anytime I'd like a drive and they are very social and do some really wonderful drives through the mountains nearby that are pleasurable. I've not decided if I want to do this and be the "odd" car in a group of vettes, but it is somewhat appealing to have a group that does reasonable drives in my locale. Anyway, you guys are simply wonderful and I've enjoyed all my time with you, but feel that I need to rethink my priorities. I've missed writing seminars, theatre plays and other things to do these S-car events, but I'm not willing to do that any longer. I have many and varied interests and hobbies and the car is simply one of them -- not the only one of them. I feel a little like Jukngene and have mixed emotions, but I'm phasing out of the distance meets.
Old 06-24-2005, 05:04 AM

Received 3,209 Likes on 1,859 Posts

I hear what you are saying and hope that Rick and I still get to meet you and your +1 along the way.

Highway drives in the "S" are not my favorite either, and the meets can take up vacation time if you have to break the drive up into two days each way in order to feel human when you arrive at the meet spot. We did it for SF and are glad we did, but I understand where you are coming from.
Old 06-24-2005, 05:11 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,970 Likes on 1,756 Posts

Thanks for that post, Val...we all understand that people's lives and priorities change over time. There's no getting away from the inevitable. You devoted several years to participating in the site and meets, which is more than most do. I'm going to miss seeing you and +1 at events, but look forward to a big hurrah in OH. And if the C-ville meet gets organized, I'll definitely try to be there.
Old 06-24-2005, 05:20 AM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 625 Likes on 377 Posts

Sorry to hear that, though, Val. I do like to long distance in my S now and then, and I am getting to attend some of the eastern meets now. I enjoy your posts and was hoping to meet you guys along the way. Guess it is still possible anyway...
Cheers,
Old 06-26-2005, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two things. Have to go to Laredo Tx this week. Every time I go there I feel as though I should get hazardous duty pay. Secondly, this is a rant, doesn't anyone on the other forums use spell check? I admit that I am, at best, a marginal speller which is why I rely on spell check. I assume that the rest of the world feels as though they are qualifiers in the National Spelling Bee.
Old 06-26-2005, 03:39 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

mn, I think you already know the answer to your question.

I don't know if it's a Vintage thing or not, but most of the folks in our forum seem to care how they present their arguments / discussion, and they respect the other folks who take the time to read what they write.

I think it's the respect thing that makes the quality of what you see in here so high. Vintage.

Quick Reply: ***Official Vintage "Shoot the Breeze" Thread!***