S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

***Official Vintage "Shoot the Breeze" Thread!***

Old 05-19-2005, 04:25 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Hillary! Oh my God, Noooooooo! I might have to be forced to move to the islands somewhere! hehehe
Old 05-19-2005, 04:45 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,159 Posts

Originally Posted by fltsfshr,May 19 2005, 08:17 AM
I'll take some of that Hillary action Rob.

A hundred bucks says there's no President Hillary next time.

fltsfshr
C'mon flts, thats a suckers bet. She probably can't win (unfortunately), but I do think she's going to make some noise. It should make the election mighty interesting.

Yesterday I heard on the radio that the Republicans were considering Cheyney. If thats the best they can do, maybe Hillary has a better chance than either of us think.
Old 05-19-2005, 05:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Granny, please stay away from all season on this car.

If you need a tire that is better in the rain, there are some choices. You need to make sure you maintain the stagger front to back, do not go by the sizes shown on the S02. The back tires say 225 but in a non-S02 you need 245.

Also, if you do go with a different tire, they will not have the same grip as an S02, but you should not worry about this unless your really going to be pushing the car.

I have Kumko 712 on my street rims, there have been many threads on it and Doug (Triple-H) has a good write up on them in the Upstate forum - the coles notes version is that they will give you about 80% of the performance at about 50% of the price and will last much longer.

If you need a snow tire - go with a true snow tire.

Another tire to consider would be the Toyo T1S.

Old 05-19-2005, 05:38 PM

Hey Granny

I've used Bridgestone Blizzak LM22 snow tires on my S2000 for two winters now here in Chicago. I have felt very comfortable and secure with them, even in the middle of a raging snowstorm. I have them mounted on a second set of OEM rims I picked up from hardtopguy. Jim at TireRack set me up with the tires and I am very pleased with how they have performed.

I put them on the car in November, and put the SO2s back on late April/early May.

HTH
Old 05-19-2005, 06:20 PM

^ great set of snow tires.
Old 05-20-2005, 03:50 AM

[QUOTE=tomcatt,May 19 2005, 07:38 PM] Hey Granny
Old 05-20-2005, 04:03 AM

I hear what your trying to do Angela, but keep in mind if an all season tire is a compromise between everything a summer, winter and rain tire must do - in other words - it does none of them well but can do all of them.
Old 05-20-2005, 05:11 AM

Received 3,209 Likes on 1,859 Posts

Granny,

If you feel you need snow tires in "just in case" some local tire shops here will store your off season set of tires for you, and you go back to them when the winter is over and they change them out for you.

Our friend who needed snow tires went that route.....BUT, they "lost" his summer tires.

They made him a deal on new ones, and he said he had quite a bit of mileage on his summer tires, so they would have had to have been replaced soon, but he wasn't too happy.

It's certainly an expense if you go with two sets of tires.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off let me say sorry to all, I have been MIA as of late. Now that the driving season is upon us the forum I moderate - Racing & Competition - has been a lot more active, and, to tell ya all the truth, I'm spending a lot of time on another forum. You see I take delivery of my bright red '05 Nissan Titan full-size pickup in less than a month.

[QUOTE=grannyrod,May 18 2005, 01:36 PM]I'm told they're supposed to last longer.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Triple-H,May 20 2005, 10:10 AM
[b]

Granny, sorry to hear about your accident and I'm thrilled to hear you are okay! Now, as far as tires are concerned I'm just going to give it to you straight. There will be others who disagree with me, but that is life, I'm very okay with that.

In general terms all-season tires last longer because they are harder, harder rubber has less grip. Even a performance all-season tires is a compromise when it comes to performance.

I humbly suggest you do not go the all-season route. Tires such as those are going to compromise the handling of the S and I'm concerned about that. A car such as the S has a rather high performance envelope and if you have tires on it that have significantly less grip than the car was designed to handle, it can be easy to get into trouble. Cars that run all-season tires typically do not have razor sharp reflexes, the S does and I can see how it might be easy to drive the car well over the limits of the tire.

Now I know I might just be too hard of a driver but I can't help but think all-season tires are just not the route you want to go. Sure if an occasional snow is in your diet S-02s are not a good choice, but there are other choices, and just a few that come to my mind are Toyo T1-S, Bridgestone S-03, Yoko AVS Sport, Kumho Ecsta 712, and more.

Please give it some thought.
Hey there Trip. Congratulations on your big shiny new truck. Thanks for your input on the tires. I've gotten lots of input from the gang and I'm truly grateful to all. I think I'm going to stick with what the car came with since I know how the 02s handle in most conditions now. I'll try to stay out of the snow too. Glad to see you visiting us again and thanks for "giving it to me straight."

Quick Reply: ***Official Vintage "Shoot the Breeze" Thread!***