S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

***Official Vintage "Shoot the Breeze" Thread!***

Old 11-02-2004, 08:33 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Chazmo,Nov 2 2004, 07:17 AM
Well, the mouse nest is out of my Suzuki's ventilation system so I can actually use the truck now. That was nas-tay! (2nd time it's happened -- serves me right for living in the "country").

I'm here at work, groovin' to John Mayer's "Room for Squares" album and working on a document.

(pretty boring. )
Chazmo, did you ever listen to Teitur Lassen clips at http://www.teirtur.com ?
Old 11-02-2004, 09:07 AM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Not yet, John. I will.. I'm still catching up on some new (well, new to me) CDs that I bought last week. Journey is up now.
Old 11-02-2004, 09:15 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tomcatt,Nov 2 2004, 12:04 PM
Only if the weather is nice and I can drive there top-down.

I hope the DSL install goes good for you; we went cable internet late 1999 (no DSL available by us, we're just this >< much too far from the switch for it) and we haven't looked back. I would reeeeally hate to go back to dialup. With 6 computers networked together at home and the ability to work from home on my laptop using a VPN connection into the corporate LAN, dialup would seriously crimp our style here in Casa Curda.
6 PC's!
Old 11-02-2004, 09:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OhioRacer,Nov 2 2004, 12:15 PM
6 PC's!
Well, let's see... desktop for her, desktop for me, laptop for her, laptop for me, part time Linux box, part time Server2003 box...

Ok, the last two aren't always on the network, there's usually 4 machines on all the time though...

Although I am thinking of having a full time file/print server, and possibly converting my network from a workgroup to a domain.
Old 11-02-2004, 09:39 AM

That is rather a lot of equipment to have in the house, Tom.

We ditched our laptops (well, I should say they ditched us), so we have only three in the house. Only two of them are on the net. As much as I loved the convenience of the laptops, I refuse to shell out any more $$ for expensive boxes that last maybe 3 years if you're lucky. My PC towers never seem to die, and I respect them for that.
Old 11-02-2004, 09:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We wound up with both because we each have certain computing needs. I use my desktop for photo editing among other things, and the laptop so I can be on the net anywhere in the house or yard; plus it's my primary repository for photographs when we're on the road. The laptop just doesn't have the horsepower or display screen to make for a good darkroom machine though.

Her desktop is used for similar efforts along with gradekeeping/lesson planning for high school. The laptop is her toy, and she's using it as her primary tool for her master's effort as she can check in to class anywhere she has internet availability.

The desktops are cheapy Compaq towers with lotsa RAM and big secondary hard drives. I couldn't see spending tons of money for them when they wind up being throw-away appliances. We did invest in large LCD flat panel monitors, mine specifically for photo work. They do save on a lot of desk space.

We have a broadband router which makes it easy to have all the machines on the internet, and it also provides a NAT hardware firewall. So far I haven't had anything get inside *knock on wood* and I'm religious about keeping antivirus and OS up to date with patches, etc.

Also thinking about throwing together a blind HTPC, more to learn about the technology than to satisfy any real need, although the TiVO-like capabilities would be nice.

I guess I'm just your typical nerdy computer geek.
Old 11-02-2004, 10:08 AM

Received 3,209 Likes on 1,859 Posts

Originally Posted by tomcatt,Nov 2 2004, 01:54 PM
I guess I'm just your typical nerdy computer geek.
Sounds like it!

We have just ONE computer. Rick is not into it at all. My computer is rather old, but does what it needs to. With the DSL, I should be just fine. I thought it was almost time for a new computer,, but Rick tells me we NEED "S" pods for the "S" stereo first!

Santa needs to get busy! "S" pods or computer?? Hmmmmmmmmm
Old 11-02-2004, 11:32 AM

Here too. 7 PCs on the home network with 4 always on. plus my work laptop (8) and my sons PCs when they're home brings it to a max of 10. Although the Mac is almost always off and my pers laptop is only used for F1 and CART races (to get online telemetry).

I *need* them all.
Old 11-02-2004, 11:34 AM

John, my friend, you are the alpha geek.
Old 11-02-2004, 11:55 AM

LOL! Thinking of replacing the QNX device in the kitchen with a PC... looking at a monitor/TV combo.

Quick Reply: ***Official Vintage "Shoot the Breeze" Thread!***