S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Your Boosted ? Bet you don't have one of these . . .

Old 06-04-2003, 09:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your Boosted ? Bet you don't have one of these . . .

Ok, I've been spending quite a bit of time on spyderchat.com to see what is out there for my old ladies MR-2 and I have comm across quite a few nifty little gadgets. First of them is this :
http://www.jandssafeguard.com/
These guys are rocketing to 12 second passes (1/4 mile, not 1/8 like I first thought) at 12 psi on a daily driven spyder. Yes, they run 12 all day long and most of them have over 50k doing running one of these and a S-AFC. They use Celica GT-S injectors, a simple MBC, **this**, air-water IC, simple turbo kit, IK20 plugs, and I think that's it. One guy has less then 4500 into it with tunning
SO anyway, back to the point. These seam VERY interesting and I think somebody should throw it on and see how it turns out. Better safe then sorry right ?
Oh yeah, one more thing . . . she now is no longr giving me crap about me tuning my S, as a matter of fact she's all for it because if I can do it to mine then she can have her's " Hooked ^ " and she'll probably leave me reading her license plate on a regular basis
D@MN those 2,200 lb go-carts
Old 06-05-2003, 12:23 AM

I don't think it would work with coil packs.
Old 06-05-2003, 03:43 AM

With a charge cooler and 103 octane race fuel, why would I need to worry about detonation at 7.5 PSI?

-YS
Old 06-05-2003, 04:45 AM

I does say they have a unit to work with individual coil packs, and why would you want to pay for 103 all the time? 10 tanks of gas and you could have paid for one of these.

Tboy.
Old 06-05-2003, 05:42 AM

I sent an email to John from J&S Electronics, Inc. He is looking for a beat car in SoCal to install the product and test it.... He thinks that the four channel version should work!

Any volunteers??
Old 06-05-2003, 06:45 AM

Originally posted by tboy911
I does say the have a unit to work with individual coil packs, and why would you want to pay for 103 all the time? 10 tanks of gas and you could have paid for one of these.

Tboy.
a) I can afford it
b) Pulling timing because of knock reduces power production
c) Knocking damages the motor - this is a reactive device, not a preventative device. That is, it needs to hear the knock before it can react. Running race fuel keeps it from ever happening.
d) I can buy a lot of race fuel for what it costs to replace a motor

-YS
Old 06-05-2003, 07:54 AM

closed loop knock control is the shit
Old 06-05-2003, 08:39 AM

May be a nice safety feature for a turbo setup. Specifically with e-manage systems that have base maps that may not be dialed in for your climate. Might have prevented SuzukaS2k's motor from blowing. Anyone in SoCal wanna try?

UL, CJB80, or ChrisD, what do you guys think about these things?
Old 06-05-2003, 09:26 AM

spend 25K and up on the s2k (if you buy used)
5 K on turbo
500 on exhaust
0$ spent on propper tuning.... Pricless.

So you want to install a device that will keep it knocking without telling you?
"...the unit retards one, two, or three degrees per ping... The system is always trying to re-advance to stock timing [where the knock occured]... it re-advances at the rate of one degree every twenty revolutions [to knock again]."

Hence, it is going to advance untill you get knock. How do you know you are getting knock and what are you going to do about it? Yes, it's has potential, however there are no mechanisims in place to keep it from knocking!

The damage is already done...

jon404, I see you have been a memeber for about 5 days? Not an owner? Do you have anything to gain by us buying this product, or do you randomly throw in questions about what a guy does to his celica and spyder in all forums? Not falming just wodering.
Old 06-05-2003, 09:33 AM

My $.02 ,

I don't think the question should be why put it on, I believe the real question is "WHY NOT" . How much did you pay for your car? How much for the turbo? Now tell me, how much more $$$ are you willing to spend to be in that "SPECIAL" club that SuzukaS2K is in? That's what I thought.
Look for one of these listed under my name in the near future; that goes diddo on the Spyder.

~Jonathan

Quick Reply: Your Boosted ? Bet you don't have one of these . . .