S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

You wont believe this

Old 09-29-2007, 06:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You wont believe this

so i dropped my 01 s2k off that has 26k on the odo at the dealer for the infamous misfire. I also wanted the shake at the rear checked out.
So heres how it went:
a few months ago another dealer did the spark plug recall on my car. Well at THIS dealer, i have a buddy thats a tech, and he told me that when the tech who was working on my car check my plugs, they werent screwed in. The old dealer dropped them in the wells and forgot to tighten them in there. His wratchet wouldnt click and when he pulled up, the plug came with it. This was on all four.
SO, i waited for a phone call from the service writer at OURISMAN HONDA in BETHESDA MD, and he said that the reason it misfires, is because i have a compression reading on cylinder 3 of "100", and i need a new motor.
SO its now 4 p.m., and i dropped it off at 730 am mind you, and i called back, and asked him if he found anything else. He said no. I was trying to get him to tell me they found loose plugs and he wouldnt say it. He kept saying i need a short block. And when i asked about the shaking in my rear end, regarding the TSB on the CV cups, he said "explain the symptoms again", which means he didnt drive the car or even check them. He immediatly dismissed even checking them because TSB's arent covered. So now it runs really smooth but idles like crap. Im thinking its the infamous injector problem, ill throw some BG44K in there and see what hap.

stupid huh?
Old 09-29-2007, 06:37 AM

Im not surprised one bit, thats what my car will never go to a dealer.

-Matt
Old 09-29-2007, 07:47 AM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AslanS2K,Sep 29 2007, 06:16 AM
The old dealer dropped them in the wells and forgot to tighten them in there.
That is doubtful. They would have blown out. You'd have charred coilpacks. Very loose, sure. But you would have known immediately if they had just "dropped them in" without tightening.
Old 09-29-2007, 08:20 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe the mechanic forgot to tourque the plugs to the reuired setting.(ya right).
Old 09-29-2007, 04:48 PM
Hoa

wow... never safe trusting your car with another person even though they service it before
Old 09-29-2007, 09:46 PM

I torque my plugs to gutentight(more like snug), never had one come loose.
Old 09-30-2007, 04:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of the local guys here in Phoenix didn't torque his plugs to Honda spec. They wound up welded to the block. Quite an expensive mistake. Just a word of caution

I guess we're lucky to have a dealership with a guy who specializes in working on S's (he even hangs out here on S2KI).
Old 09-30-2007, 07:20 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The original Honda torque spec was inadequate and the original plugs had a crush washer that was too hard as a result Honda wound up paying for a good number of damaged engines when the plug came loose and pieces of ceramic dropped into the cylinder. There was a TSB to replace all plugs and increase the torque.

Since your plugs were replaced it would no longer be a warranty deal but your problem does sound similar. Too many use the old torque spec which was clearly low.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:35 AM

this is killing me. i need my car fixed. whenever the misfiring occurs my valves get loud and the car sounds nuts.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:29 PM

another dealer just told me i need a complete tear down,

Quick Reply: You wont believe this