S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

yet another oil burning question

Old 03-06-2006, 09:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Danfotoman,Mar 6 2006, 09:01 AM
i had to pay extra to change the differential fluid. not part of 30,000mi service?!?! i'm getting discouraged.....
Kiss your diff goodbye, that dealership hasn't gotten anything right thus far, why would they bother putting the right fluid in your diff?
Old 03-06-2006, 09:56 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by S2kracka,Mar 6 2006, 12:26 PM
Kiss your diff goodbye, that dealership hasn't gotten anything right thus far, why would they bother putting the right fluid in your diff?
exactly. God knows what those morons even put in the diff. IMO, buy a bottle of Mobil 1 75w90, and change it out yourself. we have a FAQ in the DIY section. Also, they raped you on charging you extra for the diff fluid. The 30,000 mile service requires the diff fluid to be changed. So in other words, they told you "here's the cost of the 30k service" and then went "oh and we're charging you extra for something that should have already been included".

Seriously, it hurts me to continue reading this thread. I'm not sure why you have thus far not really listened to the advice you're being given. You asked for advice, and it's being given to you, but you still seem nonchalant and haphazard about it. So I'm not going to keep wasting my time. This is all the more I can say:

A. go to another dealership and get the leakdown test done NOW.

B. change out that diff fluid because they put God knows what in there.
Old 03-08-2006, 06:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i really appreciate your input, and apologize if i'm wasting your time. i understand the feelings you have about this dealer, and trust me, i have them too. i'm am not nonchallant about this.
i called coggin honda to set up a leakdown test, explaining to the service tech on the phone what's going on. he said the best thing to do is go back to classic honda and talk to the manager of the whole place. so i'm going there now. the guy at coggin has two s2000's, i guess he knows. the differential fluid was Gl-5 or better, i got the tech's guarantee that it would not be the stuff they put in the Pilot. then i called american honda in california and spoke to a nice lady who gave me a case number. she said if the engine is defective, they have replaced them free for up to 50,000 to 60,000 mi and does tranny's up to 100,000mi. she said each dealer sets the rules for the 30,000mi service. the $350. i paid for the service including the diff change is about right, i'm smart enough to know to change it yearly, thanks to you guys. see, i bought three cars from this dealership, and my pathfinder was bought at classic nissan. i don't know how more loyal i can be. but i'm ready at the drop of a hat to turn the car in (i owe on her) and walk away from this whole thing and never buy another honda. i'll let you know what happens. i really want to exhaust this avenue with the dealer, and i want to see what the general manager has to say about overfilling the oil. the lady at american honda made a note of the overfilling, i could hear her typing while i was talking.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:00 AM

well dont ever not buy another honda just because of a stupid/bad dealership. you'll get dealerships like this no matter what kind of car you buy.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:30 AM

well that was a complete waste of time at the dealer.
Old 03-08-2006, 12:00 PM

heh, shock of shocks hey? take it to that other dealership. contact honda again if need be.
Old 03-18-2006, 10:40 AM

so here i am 300 mi into my oil consumption test, (the one which they overfilled the oil) and it's still above the "H"! could it be that i'm babying the car, ie, no high rev's, no freeway trips, or could they have put something in the oil to stop the burning? they "assurred" me they don't alter the oil at all, but of course i don't trust them. it drives pretty good lately tho. also, you guys stated the diff service is at 30,000mi, the dealer was like it's not part of our 30,000mi service, it's an extra $80. so when i asked when does it get changed, they said every two years. yet the car book says do it at 30,000mi. and since they did all the service with the previous owner, i asked if it was done, they didn't know. asked if the loose sparkplug deal was done, they said yes, but where were the update stickers stating so in the manual? i complained to the general manager of the dealership why can't they do a leakdown test? he's trying to up me to a new s2000, saying you don't want that one anymore if it's got problems. then he said the "grey area" of expired warranty for honda to do anything was increased, "bigger grey area", because i'm the second owner. i was fuming when i left, and still fuming when i got home and got the "service follow-up call" from a rep of the dealer. i said i would never recommend the dealer to anyone, the next day the head service rep called me up and yelled at me! said how dare i not recommend the dealer when "we are trying to help you", blah, blah, blah, and said they are the only ones who would help someone in my postion, that is: second owner of an out of warranty s2000. they said the only reason they are dealing with me at all is because i'm a "preferred customer", having bought 2 cars before from them. i will never go back. anyone know a good service place in central florida?
Old 03-21-2006, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Wisconsin S2k,Mar 4 2006, 08:18 AM
run, do not walk, away from that dealership. they're idiots and have no ####ing clue what they're doing.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Danfotoman,Mar 18 2006, 01:40 PM
i will never go back. anyone know a good service place in central florida?
finally.

post in the regional/florida forum for a reputable dealership. they'll be able to point you in the right direction.