S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Yea, so, I was at the track...

Old 01-15-2009, 11:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

REVHIR, don't lose sight of what RedY2KS2k said up top..."First thing to do....is to change the transmission oil." Even though the other gears are working, there's still likely chunks that could damage good gears and syncros. I'd drain-and-fill cold, checking for chunks while it drains. If there's any decent-sized chunks, I'd flush several times with cheapo 10W-40 until the chunks stop coming, then fill with Honda MTF and take it for maintenance. This drain-and-fill is easy and quick to do, and may help keep you from further damaging the internals when you drive to the shop. Given the amount of driving you'd done at the track, this might be overkill, but may be worth the very modest efforts.

Good luck, I hope all the worry is for naught...
Old 01-15-2009, 05:30 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

^^^If he has any intentions at all of rebuilding I would not even mess with trying to change the fluid and still drive it. Yeah maybe it shifts into the other gears just fine now, but that could be no indication of what is really going on in there.

First off there were likely many larger pieces that alone could have damaged more gears, sounds like you go lucky and they droped down without getting in any of the other gears. There is a magnent in there somewhere (atleast I am assuming I have never had an ap tranny apart) and those chunks are hopefully safely on the magnent, but if not then there is still a chance they could wind up in other gears.

Second, in additon to the larger pieces there are likely smaller shavings floating around inside of the tranny fluid. Since they are from the gears they are not the softest metals in the world, infact they are pretty hard. They are getting in all kinds of places that they should not be bearings, syncros, etc. Everytime you shift they could be finding there way between the syncro sleaves and the syncros, I would not be suprised if there are some pretty decent impression marks by now.

If it were me and I was making the power that you are and were looking to drag race the car I would rebuild with a better gear set. To be honest I have never give this a thought with my S2k so I don't even know if anyone like PPG makes a beefy gear set, but I would find it hard to belive that there is not someone out there. Honestly, with the way it sounds like you shifted, I doubt it would have ever effected a non-boosted car, it is obvious that the tranny is the weak point in your setup.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea. Well ima have to sell my hood now for this. Times are really rough. great i need a damn member ship for this now. Ugh... Money money money.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey your not alone I just destroyed my 2nd gear synchro, it still goes into 2nd it just grinds every time. What happened with mine is my slave cylinder failed no clutch I was in traffic grinded the hell out of 2nd got it into 3rd and got off the freeway.