S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Yea, so, I was at the track...

Old 01-14-2009, 08:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm Im not really getting what you mean by making my read that besides guys that want to replace with a stronger racing tranny and a lot of grinding in the pics. Im sure that is what my second gear looks like, but the rest of my gears seem perfect.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:31 PM

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

seems your handling this very well Haven you ever launched the car on the street? maybe start practicing before you hit the track next time. Dont let this discourage you. Remember too, on the track, dont worry about other people, its your car and your life, so focus cause its your safety! Is the car still under warranty? hmm, I hope your friends with the dealer
Old 01-14-2009, 09:12 PM

that was my problem. I never launched on the street. Trust me I am trying my best not to punch a wall right now. It's my own dumb nervous ass fault. It could have been worse. I could of blew my built engine or worse slammed into a wall. Mabey, it's Gods way of say your not going any further buddy even if your tranny needs to pay or it might be his way of having a sense of humor and saying damn this guy has been asking for it. None the less..

Any other bright ideas guys?? Besides getting a used tranny. How can I know that it is in good working condition before I buy it?? Or should I just see if the 2nd gear is replaced??
Old 01-14-2009, 09:50 PM

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

You dont really unless you can drive the car before its pulled but that will be hard to come by. trusting the seller is your only option if your going used, or some sort of warranty if you buy from a used parts place. You have a built motor but you have never launched on the street?
Old 01-14-2009, 10:21 PM

REVHIR, I was in the same boat as you a few months ago. I found that my old tranny had an internal problem (probably input shaft bearing, 2nd gear was jacked up too). I figured it would cost the same amount to just replace it with another good-working used tranny, since rebuilding the tranny would be very labor intensive and end up costing just as much (if not more).

At least, if you get another tranny, you can always get the current one fixed later and be used as a backup.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:46 PM

^true that.

If youre buying a trans, try to get one thats still in a car...parting out style, OR get one from a junkyard that'll do warranties (some have a month or two warranty...)
Old 01-15-2009, 05:08 AM

Received 205 Likes on 141 Posts

So, did you actually launch in 2nd gear, or shift into 2nd at redline during a burn out?
Old 01-15-2009, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by Saki GT' date='Jan 15 2009, 06:08 AM
So, did you actually launch in 2nd gear, or shift into 2nd at redline during a burn out?
launched in 1st and car burned out to redline line. ( In a normal car and situation I would of automaticly let go of the clutch and aleve the gas a bit and then jump back on to the clutch and shift to second) I though buy doing this I would put to much bog and stress on the diff. Shyt looks like I should of just let off the gas completely and then went to 2nd as slow as possible. Oh, well. bye tranny
Old 01-15-2009, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by ikeyballz' date='Jan 14 2009, 11:46 PM
^true that.

If youre buying a trans, try to get one thats still in a car...parting out style, OR get one from a junkyard that'll do warranties (some have a month or two warranty...)
Yea there is a place that is doing 90 day warranties on ebay for an AP1 tranny right now. Not a bad price. A few more then what a syncro set cost actually.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:25 AM

At the end of the day you are wasting your time and money trying to turn this into a 1/4 mile car. It is a decent road track car.

If you are willing to get a R200 or seriously beefed up rear end and be willing to blow a gear box every so often good on ya, otherwise this is a bad choice. Then it is rims/slicks/cage/clutch...

Quick Reply: Yea, so, I was at the track...