S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Yay, clutch installed

Old 09-03-2009, 09:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bought a stage 2 Competition clutch from a user here for less than 400 and I just got done installing it a few hours ago. Took it out for a test drive and it sure enough did the job. Its going to take some getting used to this one taking off from 1st haha. I greased everything real nice and the clutch pedal is a LOT softer now, which is whats throwing me off. Had my friend help me the whole way and we used the DIY guides on this site as well as the "other" site. The starter bolt and the battery heat shield were the worst parts haha.

The ONLY thing that I'm kind of nervous about now is a noise I'm hearing when I let off the accelerator. I'm thinking it sounds like the bearings? Kind of a vibrating sound. It doesnt sound bad like something is gonna break, but its a sound that wasnt there before. I did install the new throwout bearing and a new bearing on the flywheel, and I applied a small amount of high temp grease to the right spots. Is this just a sound that will wear off?
Old 09-03-2009, 09:35 PM

how long did it take you? first time doing a clutch job on a S?
Old 09-03-2009, 09:42 PM

yes, and it took me 3 days. Day 1 we did everything but drop the tranny since we were waiting on the clutch to come in on day 2. Day 2 we dropped the tranny and removed the old clutch and decided to have the flywheel refaced since there was a little scorching on it. Took it to "Buddy" who is 90 years old, cross eyed, and looks like he has 1 foot in the grave already. His "15 min job" ended up turning into "tomorrow" since he broke the pegs off and had to build some new ones.

*facepalm*

At this point I was ready to buy a new flywheel, but I figured I'd give it a day and see what Buddy could come up with. Day 3 I pick up my flywheel to be pretty amazed with his work. It looked like a brand new flywheel, and not something similar to a Tim Burton creation like I had expected.

We BS'ed a lot and had a few beers and just took our time. Also removed the entire exhaust system for shits and giggles and did an oil change.

First time I've ever done anything like that to a car. I'm really not car savvy, but I learned a hell of a lot the past few days, and saved myself a ton of money too. As long as buddys flywheel isnt what is making that racket when I decelerate.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sounds like decel rattle. Does it happen around the 3k-4k rpm range? A lot of racing clutches have this sound.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:20 AM

Good job. Looks like you were due. How heavy was the trans? I did my Subaru clutch by myself but have been hesitant with the s2k since the trans looks so big/heavy...
Old 09-04-2009, 10:13 AM

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cpl_allen,Sep 3 2009, 11:29 PM
The ONLY thing that I'm kind of nervous about now is a noise I'm hearing when I let off the accelerator. I'm thinking it sounds like the bearings? Kind of a vibrating sound.
Search for "clutch buzz". It is annoying but doesn't mean anything is about to break.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:24 AM

Yep, it happens around 3-4k. I can live with it as long as nothing flys apart. My buddy said that working on the s2k was actually somewhat of a joy. He's had 3 times as much difficulty working on other vehicles getting the transmission out. The tranny wasnt too heavy, but its definitely not a 1 man job. And the higher up the car is, the easier it is to work on it. We had it on 4 jackstands pretty much all the way up. We also had a tranny jack that made things a little easier, but also got in the way at the same time.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by cpl_allen,Sep 3 2009, 09:29 PM
Bought a stage 2 Competition clutch from a user here for less than 400 and I just got done installing it a few hours ago. Took it out for a test drive and it sure enough did the job. Its going to take some getting used to this one taking off from 1st haha. I greased everything real nice and the clutch pedal is a LOT softer now, which is whats throwing me off. Had my friend help me the whole way and we used the DIY guides on this site as well as the "other" site. The starter bolt and the battery heat shield were the worst parts haha.

The ONLY thing that I'm kind of nervous about now is a noise I'm hearing when I let off the accelerator. I'm thinking it sounds like the bearings? Kind of a vibrating sound. It doesnt sound bad like something is gonna break, but its a sound that wasnt there before. I did install the new throwout bearing and a new bearing on the flywheel, and I applied a small amount of high temp grease to the right spots. Is this just a sound that will wear off?
I just recently got this exact same clutch.

If it's brand new, it will bite really quick and hard for the first few hundred miles until it's broken in. Then it will be a lot more civil while still grabbing like a champ.

And the noise you hear upon deceleration is just clutch buzz. It's normal.
Old 09-04-2009, 05:12 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That's why I subscribe as a paid member to this site. The DIY's themselves are worth the $20. Imagine if this site closed down, I'd lose a lot more than that per year. So I try and support the site... because I'd be in a lot worse place without it.

This was the first car that I've worked on, too. But knowing that there were so many people willing to help if I got into trouble really lowered the barrier for me.