S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Xviper has left the moderator's box.

Old 07-20-2005, 06:13 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Xviper has left the moderator's box.

As you can see, I have resigned my title as "moderator" on this site. I post this to explain to you that it was my decision alone, instigated and requested by me alone. Before the rumour mill begins, this has nothing to do with my relationship with the site admins. I have met them all and I can assure you that I consider each and every one of them as friends.

I have always seen my moderator role as that of being the judge of where a thread belongs and move it if necessary. From time to time, I find myself being a referee and most of the time, simply a "watchdog" of the forums to which I was assigned. THAT IS ALL! Mods don't get paid to do what they do. It is all volunteer. I do not see them as "representing" the site or having any "managerial" ties to the site.
Some forum users (usually newbies, but not always) never saw it this way. They have some weird concept of what moderators are. I particularly despised the "moderators must live up to a higher standard" line when they don't see eye to eye with a moderator.

I have even been told that it is OK for moderators to have "feelings" and sensibilities, that they should be able to post their opinions when they are not acting in a moderator role. These same users think that moderators should leave their brains at the door and have no opinion or feelings. WRONG!
I have asked that my title be removed because I want absolutely no doubt that when I express an opinion, it is exactly that - MINE! NOT that of the site or its owners. If I see someone acting like a schmuck, I will treat them like a schmuck. I will read every single post that person has ever made here (even if it's in the thousands) and collect a list and post it as proof of their character. As a moderator, it was felt that I shouldn't do that. I'm sorry, but I do have a brain. I do have an opinion and I do have feelings and I will not let a schmuck think he's won the day.
I've grown tired of "babysitting" and trying to be polite to bozos and whack jobs. Noone should have to be polite to schmucks. I believe these forums have been left in very capable hands (Slows2k and Wisconsins2k). I will continue to post advice and OPINIONS where I feel they are needed. I will continue to respond to PM requests for help. However, I will rarely (if ever again) respond to "noise" questions (because these are truly STUPID questions - like we know what your "sound" is by your superficial and inadequate printed description) or questions where the answer can be easily found in the FAQ's that I helped to create and maintain (if only the poster even cared to look). Oh, and then there's the OWNER'S MANUAL. Asking something that is clearly stated in the manual is another lazy and ignorant attempt to get someone else to do their work.

So please, don't blame the site admins. They didn't "take" my moderator status away. I asked for it to be removed.
Thanks to all who cared to listen.
(Not saying "good-bye" because I'm not going away.)
Old 07-20-2005, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can't beat an upstairs neighbor with attitude!....

glad you're here - please continue to be informative and entertaining!

thanks.
Old 07-20-2005, 06:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know how you feel man. I fully understand and I believe you're making the right decision. Don't be a stranger, we all appreciate your advice and help.

P.S.: Any moderator slots open? I'd be greatly interested
Old 07-20-2005, 06:31 PM

Glad your not leaving for good. I have learned a bunch from your threads.
Thank you
Ray
Old 07-20-2005, 06:32 PM

Glad we're not losing you as an asset around here X. Your knowledge has helped many owners out. Thanks for your patience, time, and effort!
Old 07-20-2005, 06:33 PM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

I didn't know how you kept it up (putting up with the stuff you do) and keep your composure

Glad to see you're sticking around

Old 07-20-2005, 06:44 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I can't believe you are giving the "schmucks" the power you are here.

Why not ignore the stupid behavior and keep on impacting the site in the positive way you have?
Old 07-20-2005, 06:45 PM

much appreciated for all your advises and support in the past
good luck with the new ventures
Old 07-20-2005, 06:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by xviper,Jul 20 2005, 07:13 PM
However, I will rarely (if ever again) respond to "noise" questions (because these are truly STUPID questions - like we know what your "sound" is by your superficial and inadequate printed description)
I personally find this hilarious, because I work for a company that has about 50 people dedicated to finding out what the problem is when somebody says they "heard a funny noise" with one of our products when we are testing it before we deliver it to the customer.

This is a very valuable diagnostic tool, but it is also quite frustrating at times. You think it is bad when you take your car to the dealer and it stops making the noise? Try it when you bring an engineer, a recording tech, and a bunch of really expensive microphones onto a commercial airliner and then fly a (very expensive) test flight just to record the noise. Now there's some pressure to make that noise happen again!

Over time we have gotten so our pilots and our engineers mostly understand each other when they use works like "rumble", "buzz", "squeal", "whistle", etc. And it's interesting how often you really can narrow in on a problem just based on that. But it does take practice.
Old 07-20-2005, 06:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Aggghh!

Not surprised though, I don't know if I could take the BS that moderators put up with either. At least you'll still be around and who knows, maybe we'll get more 'xviperisms' now that you're free to shoot off your mouth with no constraints.

As fas as moderators being held to a 'higher standard' I have to agree somewhat with the concept. In my opinion Mods shouldn't start fights or make personal insults. I've seen threads on forums where the moderator is the one doing the most bashing and it doesn't sit well with me. Maybe it would help if there was a way for moderators to post as either 'xviper the moderator' or 'xviper the member'.

Anyway, welcome to the 'regular crowd'.

Quick Reply: Xviper has left the moderator's box.