S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

X brace and Suspension Mods?

Old 12-14-2004, 09:40 AM

Received 160 Likes on 98 Posts
Default X brace and Suspension Mods?

I hear this talk of an X brace, Sway Bar, Adjustable Sway Bar.... and i dont know which piece does what and which piece goes on the front or the rear suspension/chassis??? Can you explain the X braces and Sway bars and the mods similar to this that go on the front or the rear underside of the car?? What about the one that goes under the hood and goes over the engine?? I forget what its called...hmm Anyways, can someone please explain the suspension/chassis mods (ex: Crossbrace, X brace) for the front and rear and what they do exactly??? Who are the best brands??? thank you very much!! any input is appreciated!!
Old 12-14-2004, 02:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A X-brace connects to the bottom of the front 2 shock towers and sits underneath the oil pan. It is supposed to increase the stiffness of the chassis. How much it actually helps is a debate, but IMO it's main benefit is simply dampening hard bumps (which is pretty good if you're in place like LA). Some people here would tell you that the car is dangerous without one.

A sway bar is a fundamental piece of the suspension. It is essentially a metal bar that connects suspension components from one wheel to the other accross the car. It sort of acts like a spring, and is used to finetune oversteer/understeer handling characterestics. An adjustable sway bar is one of the best ways to be able to finetune especailly when making other changes to the car like tires,wheels, etc.

Do a google search on it, and you'll get a far better explanation.
Old 12-14-2004, 04:16 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I thought it was some that felt it was dangerous WITH one. Something about the engine not being able to fall in a crash?

Anyhow my .02 on the x-brace is that it works. I don't know if it improves performance or will help shed any time at the track by improving anything on the car but the feeling of the car with it on vs. it off is night and day. The front end feels much more solid and intact with an x-brace in place and like pantyraider said it helps the front end soak up bumps, undulations, train tracks etc. in the road so much better than it does in stock form. This is one of the very few mods that I've done that I would do again in an instant.

I have the Rick's x-brace and haven't had the opportunity to compare it with others but it's nothing but quality.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:14 AM

Received 160 Likes on 98 Posts

what other kind of braces can you use for the front and rear suspension?? what about the one under the hood?
Old 12-15-2004, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pantyraider,Dec 14 2004, 03:24 PM
Some people here would tell you that the car is dangerous without one.
Yep, I would be one of those people who hold that opinion, that bump steer is dangerous in any car that built to be driven at the edges of its functional envelope. I think a lot of the fine points of opinions pro and con are covered here:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...c=254409&st=25

-JD
Old 12-15-2004, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Dizings2k,Dec 15 2004, 10:14 AM
what other kind of braces can you use for the front and rear suspension?? what about the one under the hood?
In my OPINION:

The strut tower brace under the hood is marginal. I think you can feel a touch of improvement on the road, but it is mostly bling.

The Cusco 3-piece subframe kit ties the front and rear suspensions together - I felt like the back end came out a little easier after putting it on, but it was more controllable. Odd thing was that after putting it on, I had to tip my seat back to get it comfortable again - almost like the rear was higher.

I was chatting with Drewchie the other day and he commented that in his opinion none of this hardware does anything to improve track times, and I hold his opinion and experience in high regard. However, I know I felt something with the x-brace and minor incrementals with the STB and 3-piece, so I am in conflict . My working theory is that the tracks are smooth enough to not cause bump steer or experienced racers are better able to handle unexpected behaviour.

YMMV

-JD

Old 12-15-2004, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by honda606,Dec 14 2004, 05:16 PM
I thought it was some that felt it was dangerous WITH one. Something about the engine not being able to fall in a crash?

Anyhow my .02 on the x-brace is that it works. I don't know if it improves performance or will help shed any time at the track by improving anything on the car but the feeling of the car with it on vs. it off is night and day. The front end feels much more solid and intact with an x-brace in place and like pantyraider said it helps the front end soak up bumps, undulations, train tracks etc. in the road so much better than it does in stock form. This is one of the very few mods that I've done that I would do again in an instant.

I have the Rick's x-brace and haven't had the opportunity to compare it with others but it's nothing but quality.

I strongly share this opinion.

-JD