S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

X-Brace screw-up

Old 11-07-2002, 09:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default X-Brace screw-up

I recently tried to install my X-brace and ran into a little trouble with the bolts. It appears that others on the board have had similar problems, and maybe they can HELP ME.

The bolt near the front left tire came out rough. While trying to put the new bolt in, I discombobulated the threads on the new bolt.
I thought, no problem, I'll just get a tap and repair the thread on the frame.
I tapped a crooked hole.
I decided to stop there and put the factory bolts back in.
The bolt that was giving me trouble would not go past 32 neuton/meters for about two turns. Just as I was thinking, I hope I don't strip the threads, it got ridiculously easy to turn.

Yeah, I did it. I just figured out that there are no threads on a frame or sub-frame of any sort. There is a nut that is welded to the car, this is the piece I damaged.

Before I drive the car, I will try to get a new nut to put on top of the stripped one, and I will get a longer bolt.

As of now, I will not go the Heli-Coil route because my way seems a bit easier.

If there are any suggestions, please let me know. I am afraid to drive the car now...

Thank You,
Barrett.
Old 11-07-2002, 10:14 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm afraid my post is like closing the barn door after the horse has run away.
I know what you just encountered except that I didn't continue to force the bolt. At the point where the last new bolt would not go in easily, I backed off, loosened all the other bolts PLUS I loosened the bolts holding the bracket that the X-brace bolted to. This bracket is bolted to the sub-frame.
This allowed me to thread the new X-brace bolts in without problem. At this point, all the bolts were snugged up, the bracket bolts torqued down, then the X-brace bolt torqued down.
As for fixing your problem, your plan will probably work. However, if you can reach it, try to "chisel" out the old nut first. If not, have you considered drilling out the old nut and tapping out a brand new, but bigger thread in that nut and getting a correspondingly bigger bolt?
Old 11-07-2002, 10:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know what the hollowed out hole looks like-- but look into a "Helicoil" (possible spelling)-- basically, you over-tap the thread side, screw it it (reverse I believe), then u thread the normal size bolt through.. it works well on 2 stroke engines I'm messed up.

Good luck,
Aaron
Old 11-08-2002, 07:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This sounds like something I would do :-(

Nice to know I can come here and get help if necessary.
Old 11-08-2002, 09:11 AM

amartin,
I stated in my post that I will not go with Heli-Coil as of right now, but thanks anyway.

xviper,
See, I already have new bolts (Longer) and I plan to get a nut that will somewhat lock to the surface of the bracket and/or the bolt itself. I don't know about the integrity of the material, especially after something had been welded to it. Plus, I am now realizing that the bolt in the bracket right now might be hard to get out. I am most certainly not going to have an X-Brace on my car when finished.

I learned something last night: If you're the one that f'd it up, then don't try to fix it by yourself.
I have one of the smartest men alive helping me. He's my dad, and he's pissed.

Thanks for the help,
Suggestions still welcome...
Old 11-08-2002, 09:36 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally posted by Incubus
I am most certainly not going to have an X-Brace on my car when finished.
Why? I don't see how the X-brace is to blame.
Old 11-08-2002, 01:18 PM

I am not blaming the x-brace, I can't put it on because I don't have the proper hardware.
Old 11-08-2002, 09:05 PM

I got a new nut and some loctite. Now it's fine. I will check the torque on the bolt after driving a bit tomorrow.
Thanks for the help.
Old 11-08-2002, 09:23 PM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

..checking the torque on a Loctited bolt seems a strange thing at best .... you just checking to make sure it didn't loosen up?
Old 11-09-2002, 09:15 PM

I want to be sure it doesn't mess up even more. Do you think that this is not necessary? Explain...
Incubus.

Quick Reply: X-Brace screw-up