S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

x brace owners, opinions again please, different question

Old 05-02-2003, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by MacGyver
I upgraded from the Mingster to the DiGrappa...glad I did.

DiGrappa .... was my first mod every time when I have to work "under" my car I enjoy it .... love it
Old 05-02-2003, 01:01 PM

The DiGrappa seemed to make turn in a lot crisper for me. I was also very pleased that it made the car feel MUCH more stable in higher speed, sweeping turns where the pavement was a little uneven.

Best mod I've ever made. (Ok... only mod I've ever made! )
Old 05-02-2003, 01:17 PM

How do I go about getting a DiGrappa? It's not on Rick's site anymore.
Old 05-02-2003, 01:28 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I am one of those Digrappa owners who could NOT tell a difference. My car was just a couple months old, and I had a completely stock suspension. I have been autocrossing ever since I got the car, but I still couldn't tell any difference.

However, now that I have installed coilovers, I am tempted to remove the brace just to see if I can see a difference. I am sure that the stiffer suspension would induce more body flex.
Old 05-02-2003, 01:31 PM

How much does the Neuspeed bar go for? Who sells it?

And most importantly, why is a broke SOB like myself even asking?!
Old 05-02-2003, 01:31 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gernby
[B]I am one of those Digrappa owners who could NOT tell a difference.
Old 05-02-2003, 01:42 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally posted by Da Hapa

Interesting.

I haven't tracked my car yet and don't drive my car hard enough on the public roads to tell the difference from a handling perspective but I can absolutely tell the difference when driving over uncharacteristically rough roads or things like rail road crossings.
I drove over some rail road tracks (many times) immediately before and after installing my brace, and there was no noticeable difference. I think there are 3 possibilities to explain this. I may not be "tuned in" to my car, my chassis may just be really good, or those that have noticed the difference just imagined it. I think the 1st possibility is unlikely.
Old 05-02-2003, 01:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Da Hapa
I haven't tracked my car yet and don't drive my car hard enough on the public roads to tell the difference from a handling perspective but I can absolutely tell the difference when driving over uncharacteristically rough roads or things like rail road crossings.

I could not agree more! I put the Spoon X-brace on my car when it had something like 800 miles on it. Then at about 8,000 when I got rid of the Spoon I drove for a while before I put the Neuspeed X-brace on. During that non X-brace time I was amazed at what I had got accustomed to. The X-brace makes everything so much tighter and the steering is so much more accurate over rough surfaces. I can not imagine how the difference could not be felt.

Now keep in mind, what someone in Nevada thinks is a rough road does not necessarily equal what someone in New Jersey thinks is a rough road.
Old 05-02-2003, 02:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by gernby
I drove over some rail road tracks...
Although this would qualify as "uncharacteristically rough", chances are good it does not simulate loading the front suspension through a long rough corner. When going over a track, you are on it and then off it. Driving through a corner that has a bumpy surface, you are turning and maybe even making adjustments to the degree of turn as you drive over the undulations. The X-braces benefit comes in the precision you are able to feel as you make those subtle steering modulations.
Old 05-02-2003, 02:15 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have posted this more than once.. IMO you guys are looking for too much change in the wrong places. I have done several with/without tests and can tell you..

The xbrace makes a difference in the steering response and no where else.. turn-in is quicker and you will get used to it in the first hour and never notice it again.

A STB reduces shake on very rough surfaces but has no noticeable affect on handling otherwise.

I doubt you can tell the difference from one design to another, and the changes are subtle enough that it takes back to back comparisons to even tell the parts are on the car.

Regardless, I have both on my car and am satisfied with the results.