S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Wrong Fuel filter part? (part of service schedule)

Old 02-01-2011, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wrong Fuel filter part? (part of service schedule)

120,000km calls for a fuel filter change in Aus.

Went to my Honda dealer and asked for a fuel filter - they put one on order, but now that I've picked it up I think I've gotten the wrong part for the change

Here's the fuel pump diagram:

I was given part 'B' ("fuel filter") but after receiving it it seems the actual filtration part would be part 'H' in that diagram ("suction filter")

Am I right in saying H needs to be replaced, but not A?
Old 02-02-2011, 04:13 AM

nobody's done the fuel filter before?..
Old 02-02-2011, 04:19 AM

Received 1,338 Likes on 810 Posts

looks like a misprint.

H is definitely the fuel filter.

then again, I am not sure if there is a secondary filter in the housing B.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:59 AM

Received 3,535 Likes on 2,539 Posts

Well nobody has done one in these parts as the filter in part B is a lifetime filter in North America and most of the world. I've only heard of it being replaced in Australia. Part H is the pre-filter for the fuel pump, there is a larger more dense filter inside part B. Why they want it replaced in Australia is anyone's guess ?. In our parts people go hundreds of thousands of miles and never have to change that part, the car usually dies before that filter needs replacement. It's not part of any maintenance schedule here.

Just curious, is it the Honda dealers telling Aus S2K owners to replace the fuel filter based on schedules they designed ?, or is it actually listed in your factory Honda owner's manual maintenance schedule that came with the car ?. If it's just the dealers I think they are taking you guys for a ride, or you possibly have the dirtiest fuel in the world ?. hth.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:48 AM

Fair point JFUSION but it's listed in the service shedule in the owner's manual. Plus, I service the car myself, so I only do what's listed there.

Billman, The same part labelled as part 'B' (fuel filter) is labelled as the 'fuel filter' in other diagrams in the service manual too, so I don't think it's a misprint.

However the part they've given me [B] has no visible filtration media in it - I don't see how it would act as a fuel filter. Maybe I need to look more closely.

So to confirm it's part [H] - the suction filter - that needs replacing? How much does it usually set you guys back $$?
Old 02-02-2011, 07:56 AM

Received 3,535 Likes on 2,539 Posts

Over here the filter is replaced only if fuel pressure drops below the spec range, which is very rare and I'd guess 99.99% of North American S2K's never end up in this situation, thus few people here would have experience with it.

Part B is worth about $60 US and Part H is worth about $23 US from majestichonda.com .

There was a post on this a month or two ago from an Australian member making the inquiry, unless that was you ?. Check the new part thoroughly with a flashlight in the entry and exit ports and see if you can detect a filter inside the housing of part B ?. My understanding is that it does have a filter but it is a part that is rarely changed - designed as a lifetime filter. My shop manual calls it part A - fuel filter, the lower part is list as a suction filter.

Check with the parts supplier that sold it to you, do a search of similar posts on the subject (there are a few of them with differing opinions, hope it doesn't confuse things even more), or dissect the old piece cominng out of your car to see if it has anything inside of it (but then you're committed to using the new piece ) ?.