S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Would this work for a TB bypass??

Old 12-28-2003, 07:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jim! Thanks for this info!!

Confirms my concern about possible problems with just cutting off water flow with a valve. I'm glad I didn't just jump into it for this reason. I have ZERO desire to cause harm to the motor

I understan the airflow at high rpm is moving fast enough to not see much heat transfer, my "thought" was that at low rpm (stop-n-go traffic) stop light, etc, it might have an effect?
Old 12-28-2003, 08:38 AM

GREAT pic Ninegrand,

Good question. Did you know that Gasolene does NOT burn? Really. But gasolene vapor does. Put a little gas in a glass and light it and look in from the side. The flame is one to two millimeters above the fluid. The heat may shatter the glass so be careful.

Hence the reason for hot manifolds and heated throttle bodies. These cars have to exist and run for the granny who just wants the wind in her hair, as much as for the performance fiend who wants every last foot pound of torque and is willing to put up with the problems that desire creates.

Now fortunately we're dealing with fuel injection here so that is not so much of a problem, and insulating from engine heat and cutting off throttle body heat will, in fact, give a "bit" more power. But most likely at a cost of some minor screwed up driveability in cold weather. I mean you can start up a stone cold motor and drive way at full throttle, right? But at those times the ECU is providing a richer mixture to the motor to compensate for the lack of engine heat.

And not to be knockin' the vendor, but they do have a product to sell so may "boost" the claims a wee bit.

Like I've said in other posts, I run my motor mostly stock, and it never lets me down. But like you I love tinkering on them things, if for nothing else than just the simple pleasure of working on something so cool.

Have a great day,

Jim
Old 12-28-2003, 01:14 PM

I love the new "silverstone" AEM V2!