S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Would this work for a TB bypass??

Old 11-13-2003, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I DO have a CAI! Just not like yours (Spoon type for those who may wonder )

It really shouldn't make a difference from the way it looks.

Thanks Chiung .

Anyone else have thoughts on the bypass??
Old 11-14-2003, 06:00 AM

Okay so you do, but you still have the hard piping that is usually removed with other CAI!
Old 12-25-2003, 07:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ninegrand - sorry about not getting back to you with pics re: TB bypass, here it is more than a month later...

If you have any questions feel free to PM me. Here are some pictures of the area around the cooling line from the head to the TB. You can see where I just plugged the fitting. (I have the Hondata gasket, so plugging the fitting does nothing except eliminate one hose, cleaning up the spaghetti look a bit)

There is also a plug on the fitting under the TB.

As you can see, I removed the metal hardline assembly. There are 2 different clips that the wiring harness has that attach it to the hardlines. I left those clips attached to the wiring, and you may be able to see how I used the black circular one to "harness" the two vacuum lines.

Also, if anyone is interested, I no longer need the CF heatshield that blocks heat radiating from the head. $90 shipped, I think Rick's sells it for $140'ish.

Regarding the Hondata gasket, it is a true PITA to install, but it is effective. I can put my hand on the intake after an hour of hard driving, and not get an immediate contact burn. If you do the gasket install, you may as well change out the thermostat at that time also, since it's under the intake.

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-27-2003, 11:50 AM

That looks a lot cleaner....does anyone know where i can get some detailed instructions on removing that metal hard piping to clean that area up, and also do the TB bypass (since i have a tahoe for cold/crappy days, cold weather driving is not an issue)

Thanks,
John
Old 12-27-2003, 03:57 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Johnny--2K
That looks a lot cleaner....does anyone know where i can get some detailed instructions on removing that metal hard piping to clean that area up, and also do the TB bypass (since i have a tahoe for cold/crappy days, cold weather driving is not an issue)
Old 12-27-2003, 04:31 PM

some one help us poor S2K owners (im a college student too, so im really poor now!)
Old 12-27-2003, 05:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PM me and I'll give you my phone # and can walk you thru it in about 5 minutes. Before you do, though, get about 2 feet of the thin vacuum line and about a foot of the coolant line handy to use, and a couple of zip ties.
Old 12-27-2003, 10:31 PM

Ninegrand,

I would bet the difference would be minor to non-existent. The CAI is a major change because, well... you know why. The heat imparted to the flow from the throttle body is negligible. I mean, the air is going through there at something like 85 to 90 mph at 9000 rpm so it doesn't have too much time to heat.

WAYYYY more important is that you do not just block off the hose. It bleeds coolant from the front of the head so that it cools. Blocking it off will warp the head in about five minutes of running (ATTENTION!! Voice of experience speaking here. I.e., don't do the same stupid thing I did).

And keep the rubber side down.

All the best,

Jim
Old 12-28-2003, 03:42 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Jim,

We're also discussing the by-pass on this thread:
http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.p...threadid=169391

But what's germane are the tests conducted by Todd Marcucci and posted here: http://www.s2000.org/mods/insulator/ He found a significant reduction in temperatures by isolating the throttle body from coolant flow. And citing Mugen 's temperature delta for horsepower gains, I can see why Ninegrand made his statement that he thought intake mods (AEI, etc.) are incomplete without addressing the TB issue.

Much more important is your warning about the potential for head warpage. Definately something to make you sit up straight and pay attention when mapping an approach - Thanks!

--Bob
Old 12-28-2003, 07:10 AM

Thanks, Bob A,

I remain always the student. Excellent descriptive piece on the install BTW.

Three significant (IMHO) points left out of the gasket install are 1. much easier and safer to do this with a cold motor, 2. when working with fuel ALWAYS have a working fire extinguisher VERY handy, even if you beleive it's going to be only a small quantity of fuel, and 3, when removing the buffer, catch any fuel with a properly placed rag. Much easier to snatch a flaming rag off to the ground than a flaming manifold.

I used to be pretty cavalier about gas spills. Two cars burnt completely to the ground later, I use a fire extinguisher just like my seat belt, i.e., always.

All the best,

Jim

Quick Reply: Would this work for a TB bypass??