S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Would this work for a TB bypass??

Old 11-12-2003, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would this work for a TB bypass??

It seems almost crazy to me to have a CAI of any kind AND hot coolant passing through the TB.

I lack the confidence and skills to do the Hondata and I also live in a cold climate. My question is; could a valve of some sort be placed on the inlet side of the TB to shut the water off? It could then be turned back on for cold days.

Would this do anything beneficial without the gasket? Any side effects without doing a complete bypass? Whould a brass valve be ok for this?

Now the $3 question, where exactly would I place this valve if it is a good idea?? (I looked for the pics that showed a description but I can't seem to find them at the moment)

I realize this topic has been discussed before but wanted to get an opinion on the valve idea. Also it would be great to hear from anyone who did the bypass without a Hondata gasket.

Thanks for any help
Old 11-12-2003, 07:24 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm installing an enlarged throttle body shortly and will do a bypass at the same time. I think I'll do the Hondata too as I have to pull the intake apart for new injectors anyway.

Ok, so I'm really just posting to subscribe to this thread.
Old 11-12-2003, 07:46 PM

Aus

I still like my rare yellow AusCAI
Old 11-12-2003, 08:15 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Cool! The yellows look the best (the cars and the AIE's). Do you have any pictures from the front to show the inlet?
Old 11-13-2003, 05:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bypassed my TB, then later I installed the Hondata gasket.

If you haven
Old 11-13-2003, 05:50 AM

Oh, as far as where to place the valve - between the fitting near the head and the TB. Since you have a CAI, can I assume you removed the vacuum hardline assembly (that
Old 11-13-2003, 08:36 AM

Chiung, you are absolutly right about the valve being overkill. I think I may be "over thinking" this one.

After I looked/thought about it more, why not just take off the 4 inch line that goes from the front of the head to the hardline assembly (the one that makes a 90deg bend)? It would seem this short hose could be easily removed and caped off or re-installed when needed.

Again, would would simply cutting off the flow of coolant to the front of the TB work? Or would coolant find it's way in from the "back"?

Also I would be highly interested to know if you felt your bypass had any effect?

Thanks for the help!
Old 11-13-2003, 08:54 AM

I honestly can't say I felt anything from the bypass. It's just one of those things that I feel can't hurt (here in Florida), and theoretically, should help. And it's simple and cheap.

My guess is that the coolant flows only one way - from the head.

I'll take and post a few pics of the way mine is setup. I took off the hardline assembly. It would only take me a few minutes to un-bypass the TB (assuming I didn't have the Hondata gasket).
Old 11-13-2003, 03:44 PM

Forgot - loaned camera to parents.

Pics next week...
Old 11-13-2003, 06:48 PM

You forgot to mention that you don't have a CAI (you still have the stock hard piping). I don't know if that changes anything...

Quick Reply: Would this work for a TB bypass??