S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Would a sway bar help my handling?

Old 08-10-2003, 06:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with s2ka and don't unequivocally recommend a stiffer front bar for you.

One main purpose of a stiffer front sway bar is to restore balance for those of us that run oversize front tires on the track or for autocross. If you are using OEM tires or have maintained the correct front/rear width stagger, a stiffer front bar will most likely add weight and produce more understeer. If that's what you want (understeer is easier to manage than oversteer), then by all means get a stiffer front bar.

As an example, I have a Comptech adjustable bar on my car set at full stiff (~280% stiffer than stock). The car has excellent balance on the track with Kumho Victoracer V700 tires (225/50/16 front and 245/45/16 rear), but pushes (understeers) on the street when I'm running on my OEM wheels.
Old 08-10-2003, 09:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by CoralDoc
I agree with s2ka and don't unequivocally recommend a stiffer front bar for you.

One main purpose of a stiffer front sway bar is to restore balance for those of us that run oversize front tires on the track or for autocross. If you are using OEM tires or have maintained the correct front/rear width stagger, a stiffer front bar will most likely add weight and produce more understeer. If that's what you want (understeer is easier to manage than oversteer), then by all means get a stiffer front bar.

As an example, I have a Comptech adjustable bar on my car set at full stiff (~280% stiffer than stock). The car has excellent balance on the track with Kumho Victoracer V700 tires (225/50/16 front and 245/45/16 rear), but pushes (understeers) on the street when I'm running on my OEM wheels.
Sorry but i do't agree with you !
I have the OEM set-up ( Tires and suspension ) and i find the car have an oversteer problem when exiting a curve so with the stiffer sway bar i find that the car is more predictable.
Old 08-10-2003, 11:24 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally posted by t.c.
I have the OEM set-up ( Tires and suspension ) and i find the car have an oversteer problem when exiting a curve so with the stiffer sway bar i find that the car is more predictable.
I'm with t.c. I have stock wheels and tyres but H&R springs, all the braces (top, bottom, rear bottom) and the Muz/Whiteline front sway bar. It brought my handling nicely into line by reducing tendency to oversteer. Best couple of hundred bucks I've spent.
Old 08-11-2003, 03:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think we are all saying the same thing. Adding a stiffer front swaybar reduces oversteer (to the point of understeer in the stock car depending on swaybar stiffness) and makes the car easier to handle at the limit. I want my car to rotate well, so do not like the way my car handles with OEM rubber and a very stiff front bar. If you like it, that's great and the reason we have aftermarket options.

A lot of handling balance issues are driver-induced. When I first started driving the S2000 it had more oversteer than I was used to and I was worried about control on the street. Now that I have had a good 2.5 years of driver training on the track and autocross course, I find the stock car a lot more fun and predictable and would not change the swaybar on an otherwise OEM vehicle.

AusS2000 - Aftermarket springs may change the handling balance of the car, so may make it more or less nesesary to modify the front swaybar. I'm not familiar with the effect of H&R springs, but if the spring rates are different than stock you've added another variable.

My point is that a blanket statement that a stiffer front swaybar improves handling is not correct for all drivers or for all cars, and each driver needs to assess their needs and make informed decisions about what they want in the way of handling balance.
Old 08-11-2003, 03:21 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I would have to say that for me, the H&R springs combined with the Whiteline sway bar are and excellent combination.