S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Would a sway bar help my handling?

Old 08-08-2003, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would a sway bar help my handling?

I have the Spoon lower front cross bars and Comptech lower rear tie bar. Would sway bars help me further towards better handling?
Old 08-08-2003, 06:17 PM

A lot of things could could help a car to have a better handling but yes a stiffer sway bar on the front realy help to have less oversteer on this car.
Check on the market place there is an adjustable one but i don't know anything about this sway bar. Personnaly i have the whiteline one and i could use a stiffer one ! ( The white line is 30% stiffer than the OEM )
Old 08-08-2003, 08:02 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I just installed a Saner front bar. If you have 225 front tires you most likely have too much steering, the stiffer front bar will definitely help make the car more neutral. With the stock tires it could make your car understeer in some situations.

Old 08-08-2003, 09:21 PM

I agree with the above statement
Old 08-09-2003, 08:49 AM

So the fact that I have the Spoon cross bar does not matter. I will get even better handling with a sway bar?
Old 08-09-2003, 09:43 AM

You are correct. I don't think many people think the tie bars do much. The front sway bar is best probably followed by the X-Brace. You can add a strut tower for looks (some people including me think that the strut helps once the other 2 are in place) What are you using the car for? If Auto-X or track, a set of R-compounds will be your biggest improvement.
Old 08-09-2003, 10:11 AM

Tie bars prevent chassis flex, which is almost always a good thing. In the case of our S2000, we already have a relatively stiff chassis so adding braces won't have as dramatic of effect as on some other cars. What most people notice after adding tie bars is that the car is better on bumpy surfaces. It also helps the chassis cope with the added stress of high grip autocross or race tires.

I would say that a stiffer front sway bar will make a bigger difference than the tie bars did.
Old 08-09-2003, 10:31 AM

Thanks guys.
Old 08-10-2003, 01:46 PM

To add to Alfredo's topic which sway bar(s) would work the best for the S2000? Is it a better idea to do just the front sway bar or both?
Old 08-10-2003, 05:18 PM

The "Best" bar depends on your goals. Racing, street, autocrossing, cost, weight, availability, looks, "cool" factor etc. all figure into the equation.

The Saner bar is solid, so it is a little bit heavy. There are hollow bars out there, but they are 2 to 3 times the price. On the racetrack my stock car pushed, so a front bar wouldn't have been an advantage.

A stiffer rear bar would only be necessary if you have some understeer that you want to get rid of.

I put the Saner front bar on my car for 2 reasons. First, my 225 front tires made my car have too much steering. Second, because my car is lowered 1" my front tires rubbed the inner fender during extremely hard cornering. The Saner bar solved both of those problems, and it also gives me the ability to tune the handling on track days.

If you are running the stock front tires you probably don't even need to change the front bar, unless you want to bias your car for less steering.

Quick Reply: Would a sway bar help my handling?