S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Would the Dealer be at fault?

Old 09-29-2006, 06:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would the Dealer be at fault?

I had the diff replaced about 3 months ago (3000 miles) from the honda dealer. Last night while I was driving I heard a pop and the car went out of gear. The shifter was shaking like crazy too. I put it back in gear and it immediatly popped back out. I pulled over and had the car towed back to my house since is was so late. I looked under the car and it appears that a bolt came out of the driveshaft. There is fluid all over the underside of the car as well.

I have never touched anything under the car so I was wondering if this could of happened because of the dealership not tightening the bolt to the driveshaft. I'm waiting for a tow truck now to take it back to the dealership but I wanted to know if I can blame them for this. Im assuming that the bolts just dont come out under normal use.

Do I have any grounds to argue they screwed up?

When the car was in warranty I had no problems at all. The diff went out on me at about 63k miles. Now this
Old 09-29-2006, 07:09 AM
Ek9
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say it's likely they screwed up. Proving it's another issue.
Old 09-29-2006, 07:17 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Dabutkus Posted on Sep 29 2006, 04:15 PM
so I was wondering if this could of happened because of the dealership not tightening the bolt to the driveshaft.
Was that missing bolt at the diff side or gearbox side?

IMO popping out of gear should have noting to do with a replaced diff.
That (popping out) happens in the gearbox.
If one bolt is missing you still have power to the diff (that doesn't mean it is ok), if all botls are gone you have none.

What kind of fluid?
Can you tell where it could be coming from?
How does it smell?
What gear were you in when it popped out?
Any other work done while replacing diff (fluid changes, ect..)?

"We" need more input I guess.

Let us know what you find / what happens
Old 09-29-2006, 09:01 AM

Sorry guys...I should of given you more info...

Fluid is coming out of diff...so it's diff fluid . The bolt is missing on the gearbox side. I think it was popping out due to the vibration. It was pretty bad. I was in 6th doing about 80. The smell was almost like a burning smell...it was all over the exhaust so im sure thats why. As far as any other work...I did have them do the 60k mile service at the same time.

I did a quick search on here and I read that you need to remove the driveshaft from the tranny for diff removal...is this true?

On that note...I just got back from the dealer. All the techs were out there since I guess they don't see too many s2k's coming in on a flatbed. They asked me what happened and I told them. I also said I just had the diff changed so they immediatly said "who did the work" The service advisor I worked with on the diff came out to see me. He didn't exactly admit it could be their fault but he did show concern...I'm taking that as a good sign. He gave me a free rental and told me he was going to get on it ASAP. I'd keeping positive that they will take care of me.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:09 AM

that scares me, im scared to take it in for warrenty work, i used to work for a dealer so i know how they treat the car.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:22 AM

Just got off the phone...they need to replace the diff seal and bolt (of course). He told me no charge so I'm happy about that! I do need to see if they will reimburse me for towing. I'm suprised they fessed up without any arguements.

I guess maybe I'm too trusting of this dealership. I've had NO problems with them. In fact...they swapped out the diff for $2100 which I was told was a fair price. That included the diff + labor + 60 mile service.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:53 AM

Dabutkus Posted on Sep 29 2006, 07:01 PM
The bolt is missing on the gearbox side. I think it was popping out due to the vibration. It was pretty bad. I was in 6th doing about 80.
At 80 mph the driveshaft spins at (about) 72 rpm.
(circumference of the rear tire about 2 meters, 80 mph = 128 km/h = 35.5 m/s => 35/2 =17.3 =>17.3 * 4.10 = 72)
If one out of six bolts is missing I don't know if that would create enough vibration to pop out of gear, it is possibe I guess, if the rest of the bolts weren't tight enough it could be very possible
I did a quick search on here and I read that you need to remove the driveshaft from the tranny for diff removal...is this true?
It depends. It is quicker I guess to completely remove the driveshaft so it is easy to push the diff forward out of the mounting points.

Dabutkus Posted on Sep 29 2006, 07:22 PM
...they need to replace the diff seal and bolt (of course).
You are talking pinion seal right?
Read here:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...0&#entry8640387
Maybe I'm a little pessimistic, last thing you want is a dealer quickly putting in a new seal and over(or under=> maybe worse)torque your pinion bearings.

Let us know what happens if you "tell" them that
Old 09-29-2006, 12:24 PM

Spitfire, you've got a calculation error... its 72 rev/sec, not minute (4320 rpm). Otherway to look at it is assume .85:1 final gear, 1.2 reduction in gearbox, engine turning about 4000 rpm... driveshaft at 4000 rpm. Either way its turning fast and balance is important.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:45 PM

MikeR90S Posted on Sep 29 2006, 10:24 PM
Spitfire, you've got a calculation error...
Yep!
Sorry!

I was thinking while typing.. its kinda slow..

At 4320 rpm balance is important!
Service manual states it may have up to 1.5 mm (0.06") of runout.
Measured with a dial indicator.

The rest of my reply DOES make sense I hope....
Old 09-29-2006, 06:43 PM

was it classic, coggin, or holler?

Quick Reply: Would the Dealer be at fault?