S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

worth buying a spare engine?

Old 12-15-2013, 05:07 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by darcyw
how much disposable income do you have? Got an extra few thousands lying around? rock on and do it. Otherwise, put it into an investment and maintain your car.

darcy
Exactly. Can't think of much of a worse investment in money than this.

That's what I was trying to get across...but didn't quite do it.
The following users liked this post:
windhund116 (02-29-2024)
Old 02-29-2024, 08:55 AM

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Hi everyone!

Sorry to resurrect this very old discussion!
Just curious to gauge how this conversation aged!

Here in the UK the price of used engine have skyrocketed!
So I wanted to take this occasion to ask, now fast forward almost 11 yrs, given the chance to buy a NEW short block... Would you?

They can still be found around 5/7k in EU.
Are they gonna keep on climbing in price? Or will the S2000 craze slowly stop as these cars are getting fewer and fewer?

windhund116 (02-29-2024)
Old 02-29-2024, 09:08 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,540 Likes on 1,044 Posts

Originally Posted by Fanzo
Hi everyone!

Sorry to resurrect this very old discussion!
Just curious to gauge how this conversation aged!

Here in the UK the price of used engine have skyrocketed!
So I wanted to take this occasion to ask, now fast forward almost 11 yrs, given the chance to buy a NEW short block... Would you?

They can still be found around 5/7k in EU.
Are they gonna keep on climbing in price? Or will the S2000 craze slowly stop as these cars are getting fewer and fewer?
Maybe it's actually easier to find a running car, than an engine?

Old 02-29-2024, 09:22 AM

Received 1,478 Likes on 1,106 Posts

This keeps coming up on facebook and has on here too. I did a lot of digging when people started claiming they could buy new ones in the EU. First, the $5-$6k they were selling them for is the same or even less than what Honda sold them for years ago which raises a ton of suspicion so I kept pressuring these sellers. Then a few (friends of said sellers) would come out claiming there were buying them from him. Even claimed he was buying them 10 at a time. And under more pressure told me where in the EU he was getting them. That dealership said no way, they have not had them in years and they were not available at all unless someone happened to find a lost one in the back of a warehouse. I dug on this for a good while and found the same answer from Honda over and over again. I found not one reputable source at Honda that said otherwise. And that is all I will post because when I do there is always one person or two that claim you can still get them, yet I have not seen one at all. So for now, until I physically see a brand new one that someone has purchased I am not banking my money on it . Also keep in mind rando people pop up with new accounts on FB claiming to support what the sellers say. So that also sounded fishy to me as well. Good luck if you try and if so I hope they do actually exist And if so please post up the dealerships that sell them so we can contact them. I am sure if they are selling them that cheap people all over would be willing to buy them, even with high freight prices. Keep in mind, people are getting $4k - $5k for a used motor with 100,0000 miles on it these days. Also makes that pricing awfully suspicious.

Outside of that, if I blow a motor I will kswap the car. $8800 gets you everything but the harness and ECU here in the states (K24 included, built up a bit for GLTC racing use). Since my car is a track car primarily, I would opt for that for the lower cost of replacement should I ever need another motor. I have debated doing it preemptively and selling my F20C to recoup some of the cost even. I love the F series but damned are they too expensive these days
Old 02-29-2024, 09:25 AM

Received 1,478 Likes on 1,106 Posts

Originally Posted by windhund116
Maybe it's actually easier to find a running car, than an engine?

I actually thought of that ... Prices have fallen a bit and I have seen multiple running S2ks in the upper teens to 20k again. You could buy the car, part it out and have a motor and trans likely for less than you would buy a used motor for in the end But I know me, I would buy it and say "hey I can gut this one and REALLY go crazy on the track build: and be into it for the price of another car. lol
windhund116 (02-29-2024)
Old 02-29-2024, 09:28 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

A donor car may be the way to go. If you have the spare room for it.

Old 02-29-2024, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by engifineer
This keeps coming up on facebook and has on here too. I did a lot of digging when people started claiming they could buy new ones in the EU. First, the $5-$6k they were selling them for is the same or even less than what Honda sold them for years ago which raises a ton of suspicion so I kept pressuring these sellers. Then a few (friends of said sellers) would come out claiming there were buying them from him. Even claimed he was buying them 10 at a time. And under more pressure told me where in the EU he was getting them. That dealership said no way, they have not had them in years and they were not available at all unless someone happened to find a lost one in the back of a warehouse. I dug on this for a good while and found the same answer from Honda over and over again. I found not one reputable source at Honda that said otherwise. And that is all I will post because when I do there is always one person or two that claim you can still get them, yet I have not seen one at all. So for now, until I physically see a brand new one that someone has purchased I am not banking my money on it . Also keep in mind rando people pop up with new accounts on FB claiming to support what the sellers say. So that also sounded fishy to me as well. Good luck if you try and if so I hope they do actually exist And if so please post up the dealerships that sell them so we can contact them. I am sure if they are selling them that cheap people all over would be willing to buy them, even with high freight prices. Keep in mind, people are getting $4k - $5k for a used motor with 100,0000 miles on it these days. Also makes that pricing awfully suspicious.

Outside of that, if I blow a motor I will kswap the car. $8800 gets you everything but the harness and ECU here in the states (K24 included, built up a bit for GLTC racing use). Since my car is a track car primarily, I would opt for that for the lower cost of replacement should I ever need another motor. I have debated doing it preemptively and selling my F20C to recoup some of the cost even. I love the F series but damned are they too expensive these days

I hear you mate! Actually I am planning a trip to Europe. Might be a good excuse to go and get to see these in engines in person for sure!

If that happens, will keep you posted
engifineer (02-29-2024)
Old 02-29-2024, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by windhund116
A donor car may be the way to go. If you have the spare room for it.

Yes definitely I thought of that too. My problem is, I am a paranoid perfectionist.
I know I would want to go through an engine swap, without checking/changing a number of things first.
I don't think I'd have the courage of fitting an engine without checking the piston rings, unless it had less than 50/60k miles. Especially oil control rings, as they can get stuck on FC202 facelift as well (we didn't get AP2 engines in the UK). This can happen, and normally a salvage car comes with no service history, so if it hasn't been cared for, the chances of problems are real.
And if the rings need changing, then the bores need honing? Wouldn't you want to check the crank bearings too at that point? If the bearings are worn, can I... or should I polish the crank? Then, would you trust the old oil pump as well?

I mean, the paranoia list goes on and on hehe. With a bit of luck and persistent searching I am sure the right donor car/used engine can be found, but I think I think luck unfortunately will always play a big role with a such an (expensive) purchase.
Old 02-29-2024, 02:21 PM

Received 422 Likes on 386 Posts

All what is needed is comp test and leak down.If you can here it running,a strip down would F it up doing the checks you mention..
An engine takes 2/3 hours to put in. Its a Honda!
Perfectionist or not=change your mind set and realise this fact,its very important. 60/70k its not run in yet! thats coming from a Honda S2000 engine builder.<not me> NOTE; MAKE SURE ENGINE HAS NOT BEEN SEPERATED.

Last edited by noodels; 02-29-2024 at 02:31 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by noodels:
RolanTHUNDER (03-05-2024), windhund116 (02-29-2024)
Old 02-29-2024, 04:00 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by noodels
All what is needed is comp test and leak down.If you can here it running,a strip down would F it up doing the checks you mention..
An engine takes 2/3 hours to put in. Its a Honda!
Perfectionist or not=change your mind set and realise this fact,its very important. 60/70k its not run in yet! thats coming from a Honda S2000 engine builder.<not me> NOTE; MAKE SURE ENGINE HAS NOT BEEN SEPERATED.
Yeah. Rebuilding a spare engine is much less time-pressure than if it's the only engine.

Quick Reply: worth buying a spare engine?