S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Worth buying and fixing?

Old 03-09-2011, 10:24 AM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm just saying that you should consider all possibilities before you head down a road you're not prepared to. The small stuff that you would otherwise disregard will be the things that come back to haunt you. That could potentially be a good deal, or it could come out to be more than you expected.

As far as the work involved, who will be doing the work? Judging from the mileage alone and what the owner has mentioned, I would be willing to bet that there's scoring in at least one cylinder. Basically what I'm saying is, before pulling the head off on an unknown-condition block, you should be prepared to swap in a motor. If it turns out that you don't need a swap, consider it a savings. So when you look at that 6k figure, tax, transfer fees, swap or rebuild, cost of the diff or propshaft or axle repair, and other misc. stuff, you get a total figure. For this total figure + down time + time invested, is it worth it to you to embark on this project?

haha I loosely inquired with a lowball offer yesterday to see what he says, but then again I have all the components to fix his car on hand
Old 03-09-2011, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dagle
I'm just saying that you should consider all possibilities before you head down a road you're not prepared to. The small stuff that you would otherwise disregard will be the things that come back to haunt you. That could potentially be a good deal, or it could come out to be more than you expected.

As far as the work involved, who will be doing the work? Judging from the mileage alone and what the owner has mentioned, I would be willing to bet that there's scoring in at least one cylinder. Basically what I'm saying is, before pulling the head off on an unknown-condition block, you should be prepared to swap in a motor. If it turns out that you don't need a swap, consider it a savings. So when you look at that 6k figure, tax, transfer fees, swap or rebuild, cost of the diff or propshaft or axle repair, and other misc. stuff, you get a total figure. For this total figure + down time + time invested, is it worth it to you to embark on this project?

haha I loosely inquired with a lowball offer yesterday to see what he says, but then again I have all the components to fix his car on hand
That's cool, I do value your advice and I may be in over my head on this since I really don't have the tools for this job, I was going to use this as a learning experience (since I have another car so I don't mind down time) and acquire what I need as I go along. However, obviously there is no learning available if I find out I need to bring it to a machine shop for work. And you have all the components needed to fix the car? Do you have a machine shop handy? 3 S2000s?! Let me know what is his response to your offer
Old 03-09-2011, 12:59 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I just recently wrapped up gathering parts for my own rebuild, and between delays in shipping, local deals, stuff I found etc. I ended up with 3-4 engine blocks And since I have a differential conversion kit ready for my car, I can swap the original diff/axles/etc. over

I do have a machine shop that does a lot of work for me, but if I were to try to fix that car, I probably wouldn't be taking anything in to the machine shop haha
Old 03-09-2011, 01:39 PM

You won't need a machine shop because if anything actually needs machining, you can just swap in a good component from your engine blocks?
Old 03-09-2011, 02:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by g3ck0
You won't need a machine shop because if anything actually needs machining, you can just swap in a good component from your engine blocks?
yes and no, if the cylinder wall are scored with piston 2 +3, is swapping only the block worth the hassle? or you can just swap in a low mileage f20/22 and have it running.

it's not a hard job if you done it before but do you have the tools and skill to do it? Not saying it's a bad thing to learn but you can blew up a new engine if you don't put it together right.

if you want to learn how to build an engine, go buy a dirt bike, those are really fun to work on without paying an arm or leg for part. again, no offense to you but sometime it's not worth the hassle.

6k is not a super deal consider you can get a running one about 8-9k for older ap1.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by g3ck0
So you think what he refers to a 'propeller bearing' problem might actually be whining from the differential instead? That's a $500 fix (change diff) vs $250 fix (change drive shaft)
the only time i said a shaft failure is when a guy went farming off the track with his S, if it whine is sounds like the diff is going.

you can search up youtube for sound clips
Old 03-09-2011, 09:27 PM

How much does it cost to get an accurate diagnosis of the engine problem so I know what course of action to take?
Old 03-09-2011, 09:27 PM
Opc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

listening to you man, sounds like you have never picked up a wrench.. so your going to buy a fixer upper ?

yea bad idea, the cost of labor, plus the second you walk into any garage they will smell the noob all over you.

just go buy a nice new Hyundai and call it a day.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Opc
listening to you man, sounds like you have never picked up a wrench.. so your going to buy a fixer upper ?

yea bad idea, the cost of labor, plus the second you walk into any garage they will smell the noob all over you.

just go buy a nice new Hyundai and call it a day.
Well I've done all the suspension work on my car before, I just have not done any engine work before, that's all.