S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Worn Clutch, Master or Slave Cylinder, or AIr?

Old 03-12-2014, 03:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Worn Clutch, Master or Slave Cylinder, or AIr?

My 2002 s2000 just hit 130,000 miles. In the last 10,000 miles or so, the clutch has been feeling really weird - almost spongy-like but only doing it sometimes. I've lost maybe a thimble full of clutch fluid in the last two years so I know I'm not leaking too badly. When I push the clutch in, it catches maybe in the last inch of letting it out - before it used to catch about half-way up like it should. I've also never let the reservoir ever come close to running dry, and Honda did a fluid change when I bought it two years ago.

I noticed if I slowly let the clutch out at a fixed RPM (holding my foot at 3k without moving it at a stand-still) and then hold the clutch at a fixed position (about 1.5 inches from fully having it let out), the transmission seems to engage without me having to move my foot (smoothly) - wouldn't that mean a bad master/slave that's slowly pushing out without me moving my feet? It also randomly runs into squeaking issues that last for a day or two, and then go away.

I'd like to clarify that the transmission is not slipping. I believe though that I am running on my original clutch. I read somewhere else that because the s2000 has a "cable fed" system or something, that the typical age-old sign of a worn clutch being when it contacts at the very end does not apply to the s2k?

I was thinking of starting with replacing the master/slave cylinder. If that doesn't fix it, it would have to be the clutch itself, right? I'm guessing at 130,000 on the original clutch, that it's probably pretty worn too. However I've seen some people on here pull over 200,000 on their originals. My car mostly does highway commuting.

I'd also like to add that the car is driving just fine - engages all the way, no slipping, and does fine under 9k shifts and WOT. Yesterday I adjusted the clutch rod so that the pedal sits lower to the floor, making it so that I don't have a bunch of "dead" let-out before it catches. I snapped a picture of the master cylinder and it's got the typical "weeping" symptoms... but I've seen that time and time again on these forums and people just ignore it.

Thanks in advance guys!
Old 03-12-2014, 04:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When this happened to my '02 it ended up being the slave cylinder. Upon getting under the car to look at it the thing was soaked with fluid. I ended up replacing the slave and master cylinder.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:25 AM

That's a good thought.. makes me feel better should I jump under there to confirm, or just go for it? Were you losing a lot of fluid too?
Old 03-22-2014, 07:12 PM

Okay so it looks like it's clutch replacement time. I replaced the master/slave (they were leaking) and the pressure feels good again. However the clutch still feels weak and it still only picks up at the very end (even after adjusting the rods and such).

Here is the kit I was considering: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-2009-HO...132c93&vxp=mtr

Thoughts? I also saw this signifcantly cheaper one and was wondering if there's much of a difference...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151062713928...84.m1423.l2649

I want something that's going to last as this is going to be a major job to do that I don't want to have to repeat...
Old 03-23-2014, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do not cheap out on a clutch. OEM or exedy would be good. Stay away from that f1, I've seen lots of those fail or have driveability (chatter) issues.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by 96-EJ6
Do not cheap out on a clutch. OEM or exedy would be good. Stay away from that f1, I've seen lots of those fail or have driveability (chatter) issues.
So that one for $282 with all OEM and the Exedy clutch disc should be pretty good quality? I totally agree as well - I only want to have to do this job once every 100+k miles!
Old 03-23-2014, 12:30 PM

Received 480 Likes on 392 Posts

You can get any pressure plate that fits, just make sure you get a FCC clutch disk, and make sure the pilot and throwout bearing is from Honda. There's a reason the throwout costs nearly $100 and it's not totally down to mark up. Those bearings are good high quality bearings compared to the crap that comes in those clutch kits. It's better to spend the money for an OEM clutch that will last 100,000 miles as opposed to an OE replacement that you'll be swapping out in 15,000. Taking out the transmission isn't fun on these cars.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
You can get any pressure plate that fits, just make sure you get a FCC clutch disk, and make sure the pilot and throwout bearing is from Honda. There's a reason the throwout costs nearly $100 and it's not totally down to mark up. Those bearings are good high quality bearings compared to the crap that comes in those clutch kits. It's better to spend the money for an OEM clutch that will last 100,000 miles as opposed to an OE replacement that you'll be swapping out in 15,000. Taking out the transmission isn't fun on these cars.
Well I've seen there's a big debate on whether Exedy or FCC make the OEM clutch disk - I can't find a solid thread that says one is the actual OEM one over the other?
Old 03-26-2014, 05:47 PM

Well at this point I'm not going to make any changes. I took it in to Northwest Honda today (just for an oil change because I wanted the free multi point inspection) and they said my clutch is golden with the new master/slave cylinders. They said I was being a hypercondriac about it lol.

One of the only dealership service departments that I actually trust!