S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Won't shift

Old 03-14-2017, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Won't shift

My car was shifting fine the entire day, but then when I was in neutral and tried to shift to 1 or any other gear it wouldn't go in at all. When I shut the car off and shift into gear then start the car the clutch would work, but when I try to shift to the next gear it wouldn't shit. Oh and if I hold the shifter in 1st with out using the clutch the car would roll forward. My buddy thinks it the syncros, but I feel like it's the clutch
Old 03-14-2017, 09:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Clutch master cylinder
Old 03-14-2017, 09:04 PM

I just took my car off the jack stands and now it's shifting properly again and all I did was jack the car up to look at the transmission
Old 03-14-2017, 09:15 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Most likely clutch system, dont force a gear change...

Check fluid in clutch reservoir, if low then top up and look for leaks. Your checking the reservoir itself and the master cylinder below it, then check the pedal and behind the pedal for leaks and even check the slave cylinder for leaks.
Most likely slave or master has broken a seal. Relatively cheap to fix if its either of them.

Worst case it could be a broken pressure plate. However when i experienced this, my slave was broken.

Good luck!
Old 03-14-2017, 09:23 PM

The Reservoir was full there was no leaks what so ever.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:30 PM

Still could be a broken master or slave.

If you have a friend, jack up the car, unbolt the slave and have someone depress the pedal and check for movement of the piston.

I have no idea how much movement you should be getting so if someone can chime in withe more info.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:36 PM

When my slave broke, i couldn't shift into first as the clutch was not disengaging enough. So i had to do it while rolling and rev matching to get into first then come to a stop.
I was obviously riding the clutch every time i stopped but it was enough to get to a mechanic and the bare minimum trips i needed.

Additionally the symptoms were not constant, sometimes i could almost shift normally and then other times i couldn't. Don't be surprised if it happens again.

Great opportunity to learn rev matching if you get good you wont need the clutch anymore to shift hehe.

Last edited by Bruunz; 03-14-2017 at 09:37 PM. Reason: typos
Old 03-14-2017, 09:42 PM

If it happens again then I'll try replacing the slave. Im pretty good at Rev matching the engine
Old 03-14-2017, 11:22 PM

Received 1,533 Likes on 1,037 Posts

Originally Posted by Sumosou
Oh and if I hold the shifter in 1st with out using the clutch the car would roll forward. My buddy thinks it the syncros, but I feel like it's the clutch
I presume you meant the car creeps forward, in 1st gear, with the clutch pedal fully engaged? If so... your clutch is dragging and needs adjustment. Too much play in pedal, air in hydraulics, and/or master/slave is bad.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by windhund116
I presume you meant the car creeps forward, in 1st gear, with the clutch pedal fully engaged? If so... your clutch is dragging and needs adjustment. Too much play in pedal, air in hydraulics, and/or master/slave is bad.
I wouldn't need to use the clutch. If I shift to first without the clutch the car would creep.

Quick Reply: Won't shift