S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Wont go into reverse while engine is running

Old 08-19-2009, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wont go into reverse while engine is running

As of last friday my car will no longer go into reverse while the engine is running and first gear is slowly becoming the same way. It started suddenly last friday when I left work and is making normal driving very difficult. It will go into every gear and reverse very smoothly when not running so its got me scratching my head.

I checked the FAQ and issues thread but didnt see anything specific enough for this problem. Has anyone else had this issue and how was it fixed?

ANY help is appreciated!
Old 08-19-2009, 03:53 PM

I saw several threads regarding this but not one with a final resolution posted.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:54 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

When I type "difficult" and "reverse" into the SEARCH, I get a bazillion threads that describe similar situations.

https://www.s2ki.com/search/forums?forum=22...fficult+reverse
Old 08-19-2009, 04:01 PM

Yeah I have found a bunch of threads and have read every post in at least four of them and so far have lead to a dead end with the OP never posting a final solution.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:33 PM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Tell us what you have done or checked so far...

Hydraulic fluid = check
Bled slave cyl = check
Old 08-19-2009, 05:45 PM

so far I have only added added brake fluid to reservoir. It was a little low. Bleeding the system tomorrow to assure there is no air in it. Adding the fluid helped the 1st gear issue but not the reverse gear. I read another thread that said bleed the system, bleed the system, and when you are done, bleed the system. So I will and then post results. I just want to be sure that something more sinister isn't happening.

Also, I checked for leeks and didn't see any but it looks like a little accumulation above the pedal (non on carpet) around the cylinder.

Thanks for the input, like I said, I am all ears here!
Old 08-19-2009, 06:02 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Leeks?

When was the last time you changed your tranny fluid? Are you otherwise stock? 110k miles? Any skip shifting in the past?
Old 08-20-2009, 05:03 PM

Not sure when it was changed actually and that is on the agenda this weekend. Yes, I have skipped 5th numerous times and didnt think it was a problem. How exactly does that mess up the tranny (honestly dont know)?

and sorry for the spelling error lol, typed it in a hurry

FYI: bought the car used and know it hasnt been changed in at least the last 10k miles
Old 08-22-2009, 03:33 PM

Ok I seem to have it fixed. It took both adding/bleeding clutch fluid and changing the tranny fluid. It took both steps to get it back to 100% with each making it slightly better. It went from not going into gear to forcefully going into gear to smoothly going into gear.

I think that this issue should be added to the common problems sticky seeing as I was able to find 15 threads relating to the issue but only one or two in which a post was added with the issue resolved.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:57 PM

this isn't an s2000 specific problem, it goes for any hydraulically operated clutch system. If the system is low on fluid or has any air in it the clutch will not fully disengage and make it hard to switch gears because there is additional load on the transmission.

Quick Reply: Wont go into reverse while engine is running