S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Wondering what Mugen intake owners would think of comarision with J's intake

Old 02-13-2003, 03:56 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wondering what Mugen intake owners would think of comarision with J's intake

The J's racing intake
for $1000 and having that carbon fiber tube instead of stock rubber piece and bigger bottom opening
do you guys think it will be equal to Mugen??
greater than Mugen??
less than Mugen??
I think it looks kinda cool
J's site says the CFRP intake plate isnt included but would want to buy it also
also notice in pic, they have the hood pins installed, so i guess you can use them with this intake
Please let me know what you think
Thanks
Old 02-13-2003, 05:08 PM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is the simple explanation. The owner of J's loves the Mugen Intake. He thinks it is absolutely the best thing available. So he basically made a duplicate with some changes. So whether it is better, worst, or same? It has pros and cons.

Pros:
bigger opening for airflow
cheaper price

Cons:
More suspectible to water ingestion

As for the hood pins from the pics it just looks like they used different holes then what people have been using. The carbing plate is not made by J's it's either BYS or Garage Defend. All they did was take a dremel to it.
Old 02-13-2003, 05:27 PM
Banned

thanks Dan,
but just curious
what do you think the pro/con to the CFRP tube from filter to TB, compared to the stock rubber???

I was figuring, less suseptable to heat???

thanks again

Oh and I am Moving to Las Vegas soon... so except for the 3 days a year it rains... water induction is NOT a concern

of course mixing 91 octane gas with $4 a gal 100 octanerace fuel to use when I buy Mugen ECU bites dog balls!!!!
Old 02-13-2003, 06:07 PM
Former Moderator

I honestly think it can't be that big a difference in that little tube (which is a copy of the M's intake). If I had to choose between the two, Mugen or J's. With no regard to water ingestion I'd choose J's. As long as the quality is good the price difference is to big. Of course Mugen in Japan has dropped their price to be more competitive to the J's, but no such luck here in the states.
Old 02-13-2003, 06:22 PM

I really like the J's. I'm very surprised no one in the states has took the plunge yet. The mugen is very popular and I have had the oppurtunity to see one in person. It really is gorgeous.

Does the J's hood have an opening for the intake or does the hood need to be cut like most the others?
Old 02-13-2003, 06:34 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by funsdead
[B]I really like the J's.
Old 02-13-2003, 07:07 PM
Former Moderator

No you have to cut the hood. The reason why you haven't seen the J's yet is because it really hasn't been available. The first one was suppose to arrive sometime late January.
Old 02-13-2003, 07:13 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by turbo_pwr
[B]No you have to cut the hood.
Old 02-13-2003, 08:48 PM

I'm seriously considering getting one in the next couple of months. I personally don't like the AEM or Injen designs. Even though this air intake vents to the front grille, water needs to travel up it, through the filter, and through the big plenum chamber. It's difficult at best, due to the rapidly changing cross sections of the intake (the tube intakes have uniform cross section, making it much easier for water to travel through - think of a straw). As for the hood, you take a dremel and cut a little chunk out of the underside of your hood. PITA, yes, but Honda didn't leave any clearance there.
Old 02-14-2003, 02:00 AM

I would think that having the bigger opening would be advantageous (so long as you're not worried about the water). Aesthetically, the Mugen looks much better (IMO), but like Russ said, it's under your hood.

Quick Reply: Wondering what Mugen intake owners would think of comarision with J's intake