S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Wondering about V-afc and MUGEN ECu

Old 11-14-2001, 09:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wondering about V-afc and MUGEN ECu

I have the apexi v-afc and i think right now the apexi v-afc is a great unit, but is the Mugen ecu better than apexi v-afc. anyone recommend the mugen ecu overall and everyday driving,caz i like my car to get more torqe. need your help
Old 11-15-2001, 06:37 AM

Jays2000,

Since you are in MA, I think Ben wouldn't mind to show you how his VTEC controller is working.. well, ECU vs V-AFC, that really depends how much you know to setup with your fuel air...ratio...thing... Mugen ECU is pre-setup, so, you won't ruin any thing... but, if you don't know how to play with V-AFC, then you may ruin your engine by wrong setup.. But if you know well about how to set it up, $300 definitely sounds better than $1500 ECU....just my $ 0.02

However, come to NE fourm, talk to psychoben, he will be happy to answer you more..
Old 11-15-2001, 05:23 PM

Jays2000,
I, would give scott or bob a call at king motorsports and
have them explain the plus's and minus's of a mugen ecu.
The main thing is the stock ecu retards the timing as the engine
gets warmer and the mugen ecu does not. Give the guys at king a call and i'm sure they can explain it.
Old 11-20-2001, 06:59 PM

yes, I had the same conversation with BOB at king motorsports, and I was told that you should run 96 octane or more. Considering the fact that doing is very costly ( I know, I used to run on a 12.5:1 compression ratio on my ITR,) I decided that I would choose the mugen exhaust over the ECU.
Old 11-24-2001, 02:36 PM

I have thought about selling my Mugen ECU (because of my SC) but after back to back comparisons... I love the Mugen's low-end power and response to the stock ECU... plus, I NEVER get engine retardation from the heat... and no Engine Light from my catalysts-less exhaust.

I am going to add a VAFC to richen my fuel mix at high RPMS...
Old 11-24-2001, 09:54 PM

Shaner,

i almost got the ECU , but the main reason I didnt get it is because I was told that I have to run high octane gas to avoid detonation. do you ever experience any detonation on hot days? or any days for that matter????

I just dont want to blow my engine.
Old 11-25-2001, 09:56 AM

I always use high octane gas in the car... so I cannot say what other grades do. I honestly do not even know what detonation sounds like... on really hot days, I take it easy on the engine and do not drive the car hard (knowing that the engine safeties are gone).

Every once and while I say that I am going to sell the Mugen ECU... I put the stock one back in... and the next day I put the Mugen back in: because there is that much bottom/mid range difference. I don't launch the car at high rpm... usually in the 2000's and the car bogs a lot less with the Mugen.

I am still unclear what the Mugen is doing at high rpms... I figured it leaned out the fuel a bit and was the reason for my less than stellar peak HP dyno results (280hp). But hearing that Wes is actually leaning his mix out and gaining HP, I am quite confused because that is what I thought the Mugen was doing...
Old 11-25-2001, 10:40 AM

Leaner means more power, it's just "less safe". I would see no reason why the ECU would be richening the mixture.
Old 11-25-2001, 12:09 PM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Wesmaster
[B]Leaner means more power, it's just "less safe".
Old 11-25-2001, 12:21 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Does the Mugen ECU change the timing?

Quick Reply: Wondering about V-afc and MUGEN ECu