S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

wire wrap.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wire wrap.

Im curious if anyone has much experience rewrapping harnesses?

I am trying to replace the slit accordian looking hose that covers most of the injector. maf plugs just on the intake side of my valve cover. I want it to looker cleaner and hold up better than what was there before, but i dont want to take all the plugs off and resleeve everything. im looking for a wrap or coil type of solution.

my question is do i need more than electrical tape to do this... most electrical tape says its good till about 170 ish F. a write up on the hondata intake manifold gasket said those temps reach 130 ish F. but the head temp and probably valve cover temp exceeds the temp rating for basic electrical tape.

I found this> http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.j...tommy+tape&sr=1

its silicone based and good till 500 F - but they have to order it. Id like to pick up something on the way home from work so i can do it tonight.

so any advice or experience would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:38 AM

I would use the high temp silicone tape for the any harness near a source of heat (obviously). anything like the injectors, coils or anything that may come into either direct or indirect contact with the head, block or exhaust manifold and probably the intake manifold seemings how it can reach high temperatures also.

then I would go through and re wrap anything else that is exposed to ambient temperatures like the cruise control plug and harness and etc in black electrical tape and wire loom. that should be plenty of protection

please make sure you keep and/or replace the wire loom as needed. it acts as a heat barrier or blanket, if you will, to any indirect contact the wires may foresee.

that should be what you need. I hope this helps! this is what i have done to all of the vehicles i work on or build. it is the very steps the Boeing uses to cover there aircraft harnesses so it should work for you.

-Chris
Old 05-27-2009, 10:50 AM

thanks - where do you get the silicone tape that you use? is avialable at any retial stores or do you order it online - thanks.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any good auto parts store should stock "split loom" cover. An accordian-like plastic tube slit down one side so that you can slip it over the wiring harness.

Here's the first site returned by a Google search, as an example of what I'm talking about.

http://www.wiringproducts.com/index1.html?...CFQSPFQodfmei2w
Old 05-27-2009, 06:54 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Use 3M 33+ tape. The cheap stuff will come off, or crack. Never break the tape by pulling on it, always slice it with scissors and stick it down. Stretching the tape causes it to retract later and the tail to come undone

If you have to wrap a large section of wire, use an old electricians trick.
Wrap the tape once around the wire, at the beginning, and then flip the roll over, sticky side out, and wrap everything with overlapping wraps. Once you cover everything, flip the tape back over and cover the first run.

if you ever have to pull the tape off, it won't leave gooey tape residue.

The parts stores, and Radioshack, all sell different types of loom. If you want to get fancy with split loom, shrinkwrap the ends after you wrap them in tape.

[/longwindedpost]
The following users liked this post:
Crispy808 (10-24-2019)
Old 05-28-2009, 06:27 AM

thanks for the advice -
Old 05-29-2009, 04:02 AM

sgtb - good tip there