S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Windshield replacement parts question

Old 11-07-2021, 09:38 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Windshield replacement parts question

I'm finally getting my original windshield replaced (by Safelite). I'm going to order a new oem molding (#5) because the tech already told me they use a generic replacement part that looks different. But I need to know if the installer is going to need the rest of the seals and fasteners in this diagram. It's not much more for me to get everything shown. (#s 3, 4, 6 ,7 and 1). Thanks!

Old 11-07-2021, 01:03 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

I ordered an OEM windshield (it's backordered) and all the seals. Like you said they are not that expensive.
Old 11-07-2021, 11:16 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 107 Likes on 67 Posts

I've had my 2004 windshield replaced twice in the last two years with OEM glass covered by insurance (yup, got them to do OEM twice). One of the best windshield companies came to my house to do it (I avoid Safelite like the plague, Insurance lets you pick your own company) I observed first hand and helped a little in the process as there was a tiny bit of rust from a windshield install 15 year prior where they cut too deep when removing the glass and cut into the metal. My guy sanded down, primered, cleaned it up and I observed and asked a million questions (also comparing to 20 years of s2ki.com forum info). The only OEM piece they need is #5, all the others were pieces used during the manufacturing process to help them align the windshield during placement and when they lay necessary as they align it that way. When you see it done you realize those parts are UNnecessary post assembly line.

In fact the windshield replacement from 12 years ago they left some of those pieces in and they shook their heads as to why, pulled it all out and cleaned it all up before laying down the bead.

tl:dr Only #5 is necessary. If someone has any real technical reason why to keep using them post manufacturing I'd like to know.

Last edited by Thomas Guide; 11-08-2021 at 04:56 AM. Reason: a word
Old 11-08-2021, 04:49 AM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,071 Posts

I also avoid Safelite.

You probably meant:
"When you see it done you realize those parts are UNnecessary post assembly line."

I point this typo out merely to make sure no one stumbling into this thread in the future misunderstands what you meant.
Old 11-08-2021, 04:55 AM
Member (Premium)

Thanks, I corrected it with dramatic effect!
Old 11-09-2021, 04:03 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for the info! I'll have another chat with my agent. She made it sound like Safelite was my only choice. The catch is that I just switched my car to hagerty last week, but it's billed through my primary company. I'd rather use an independent guy my friend has used twice.
Old 11-09-2021, 05:18 AM
Member (Premium)

I don't know what insurance laws are in PA but although the insurance company offers Safelite when they call (like here) you have a choice to decline them and tell them you're using someone of your choice. So Safelight is the middleman and handles the paperwork and claim for the insurance company but you can still use your company of choice. In this state a couple of the large insurance companies don't handle windshield claims at all meaning they just pass you to the Safelight #, they can't even see what the Safelight claim # you have because their systems are so detached. I have nothing but bad things to say about Safelight as you can tell and most folks don't know how this setup works and how to make it work for your advantage.

Tell her you want OEM glass for safety reasons (convertible, and the glass is part of the safety roll over feature). Don't settle for anything less then OEM no matter how old this car is. I'm also a huge...squeaky wheel, so your mileage may vary.
Old 11-09-2021, 11:30 PM

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Can you please post the part for number 5, although that part loos fine on my 2005, as soon as the pressure washer hit, and later when the guys were drying the car, it was flapping like a flag in the wind

Should apply a light dab of silicone to the top part of the windshield or replace the part altogether, which I assume will have its own M3 adhesive strip (just assuming here. In any case, it would be nice t have the part number and have it handy. Cheers.
Old 11-10-2021, 05:19 AM

Received 4,239 Likes on 3,300 Posts

I started out by dealing with Safelight and they are an awful company steer clear of them is my advice, I ended up having another company do it. Take your time and find somebody you are comfortable with it. Luckily I didn't have any rust on the frame and the tech. put some primer on it just to keep it protected. I'm a P.I.T.A . when it comes to my S and I was very pleased with the job that was done.
Old 11-16-2021, 09:45 AM

Received 64 Likes on 25 Posts

anyone know the backorder time on an OEM windshield? I might put new glass in mine

Quick Reply: Windshield replacement parts question