S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

window shutter + top rattle. *EDIT #2: Happening again...

Old 11-28-2014, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default window shutter + top rattle. *EDIT #2: Happening again...

Hey fellas,

So as many of you know I just started driving again and I love the car. 2 small issues though.

So when I put my drivers side window down, it doesn't go down smoothly it kind of shutters. It goes down and up all of the way but does this annoying shake while moving. Any ideas?

I also have a top rattle. I checked the strikers and they are nice and tight. The top seems nice and taught on the car. The rattle seems to be coming from the rear passenger side of the top.

Just annoying little things. You guys think that the window shudders because its so damn cold out?
Old 11-28-2014, 05:23 PM

Received 1,490 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Apply some lubricant on the side of the windows & exposed rubber guide. Use something like Honda Shin-etsu. Roll window up and down to apply the grease onto the tracks. Remove excess off window. Should help the sticking, noisy issue.

http://www.amazon.com/Honda-Genuine-...s=honda+grease
Old 12-17-2014, 07:06 AM

Ok thank you. Where on the window? Should I just do the whole window in a light coat?
Old 12-17-2014, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by mazelmazelgoodthings
Ok thank you. Where on the window? Should I just do the whole window in a light coat?
Very light coat on the rubber sealing of the window only!

Now, regarding the hardtop, do you feel that the sound comes more from the back rather than the front of the car?
Only asking as I had a similar issue and I found out that it was my soft top hinges/strikers that were the culprits!

Just taped them down and vouala, problem solved!

Worth checking definitely!

Good luck!
Old 12-21-2014, 11:13 PM

do you have a hardtop? what one? OEM or AM? if it's a AM mugen knockoff I might be able to help, about your door windows , you might want to check wgere the window attaches to the regulator, it might have come loose and the window is moving up and down a slight bit
Old 01-19-2015, 10:32 AM

How do I take the door panel off to check the window regulator? I put some grease on the rubber seals for the window and it didn't solve the problem.

Here Is a video of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ty34xGtwUng

I'm sorry I don't know how to embed I'm trying to figure it out lol
Old 01-19-2015, 10:58 AM

Received 444 Likes on 367 Posts

If you want to lubricate your soft top hinges I wouldn't use shin-etsu grease. White lithium grease is much better for hinges, and joints, just make sure you avoid the spray type, it just makes a mess and it's runny. Get something in a tub or a paste bottle like this http://www.amazon.com/Liquid-Wrench-...pr_product_top. Just brush it on or if you have a grease gun carefully inject some at the joints. Or if you want to make a mess just use a spray bottle and go to town, enjoy the smell
Old 01-19-2015, 11:54 AM

The top rattle is gone I figured that one out.

Whats going on with my window?!???
Old 01-21-2015, 07:07 PM

So... I fixed the damn window....

Ended up taking the door panel off with a buddy of mine and having a look around.

What was happening is that there was too much grease and dirt on the window regulator rail, causing the motor to work too hard which was making that knocking/shudder sound.

I wiped that all off and took a rag with brake cleaner and CAREFULLY cleaned the track. (I didn't take out the window regulator as I figured that if I am careful none would drip down and harm the inside door paint.) Just a TINY LITTLE BIT of brake cleaner on a rag will get all the junk off. You might want to go over it a couple of times.

Then I took a bit of shin-etsu grease and spread it along the track of the rail. Moved the window up and down a couple of times to I guess evenly spread the grease on the rail.

Problem Solved! Window goes up and down smoothly now!

Now for my next question... I'm pretty sure shin-etsu grease will attract dirt, is there a grease or lubricant that will work similarly that will NOT attract dirt and gunk?
Old 01-21-2015, 11:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mazelmazelgoodthings
So... I fixed the damn window....

Ended up taking the door panel off with a buddy of mine and having a look around.

What was happening is that there was too much grease and dirt on the window regulator rail, causing the motor to work too hard which was making that knocking/shudder sound.

I wiped that all off and took a rag with brake cleaner and CAREFULLY cleaned the track. (I didn't take out the window regulator as I figured that if I am careful none would drip down and harm the inside door paint.) Just a TINY LITTLE BIT of brake cleaner on a rag will get all the junk off.

Then I took a bit of shin-etsu grease and spread it along the track of the rail. Moved the window up and down a couple of times to I guess evenly spread the grease on the rail.

Problem Solved! Window goes up and down smoothly now!

Now for my next question... I'm pretty sure shin-etsu grease will attract dirt, is there a grease or lubricant that will work similarly that will NOT attract dirt and gunk?
You can try using white lithium grease in an aerosol can. And thanks for updating the fix. I have this same problem and will try this when i get the chance.

Quick Reply: window shutter + top rattle. *EDIT #2: Happening again...