S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

will test pipe increase performance on N/A S2000

Old 04-01-2004, 05:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Joe, if you don't want the test pipe, lemme know.
Old 04-01-2004, 08:34 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally posted by mikecl713
would it be worth it for a comptech supercharged?
One of the local guys did just the pipe and saw 20 hp increase on his Comptech SC S2000.
Old 04-01-2004, 08:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JL9000

I am quite familiar with the search function thank you very much.

I am an engineering student, and I've done several dyno-comparisons myself. I never cared for the internet hear-says that people use to pretend they are smart, I just want to see proof. So please enlighten me if you have real knowledge of this subject. Thanks.
Sure. You'll get improved performance and some weight reduction. And it isn't all that expensive either, especially if you make one yourself. [/QUOTE

I am an engineer and I can bearly afford the S2k... What type of money are u guys from......
Old 04-01-2004, 08:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about I clear this up real quick.... and I will surely back JL9000 on this . I have seen dyno plots with just an exhaust and test pipe gain hp throughout the RPM range. The two S2k's gained about 2.3 - 2.7 at top end power and lost nothing at the lower range of RPM's and if I can get the dyno sheets from them I will post them up for the concern and provide beneficial information. I love running the test pipe...clears up weight and exhaust flow. Thats my .02 cents though.
Old 04-01-2004, 09:45 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by beroznikmal

I can bearly afford the S2k...
Old 04-01-2004, 10:08 AM

I noticed better response and more power when I had a test pipe put in. Problem is it is so loud

Many of my friends who rode in my car also stated that it felt much more powerful. I'll have to race my friends modified lt1 and let you know if I am any faster or not. Also it is much easier to get going from first for some reason
Old 04-01-2004, 02:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The myth of needing "backpressure" to avoid mid range or low end torque is one of those Internet half-truths that just never seems to go away. The issue is a not particularly complex engineering concept - it involves the behavior of heated gases in a tube of a specific diameter and length; maximum power is almost always achieved when the exhaust valve tuning (overlap, etc) and the resulting pulse of the air in the exhaust are optimized. This is what crossover H-pipes and X-pipes on true dual systems can accomplish, and why nearly all NASCAR racers use X-pipes since the shape more precisely aligns the exhaust pulses.

All things being equal, the test pipe should yield a bit more ponies up top with no loss anywhere else. However, if the resonator (using Helmholtz principles and equations) is used not only to tune the sound but also to optimize the exhaust pulse in a certain region (like the mid power range) typically by a resonance peak, then it is possible that one might lose that peak by adding a straight pipe - you have changed a signficant part of the total equation.

Now, I have not the foggiest notion of what the result is on the S2000. We would have to see those back to back dynos runs using identical units and especially inlet air temps.
Old 04-01-2004, 04:13 PM

hey all i knows is that i felt more power when i gutted my cat out hey it may be cheap but hey im in the navy and i can barley afford my car on my beer budget
Old 04-01-2004, 05:26 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by red02s2k
hey all i knows is that i felt more power when i gutted my cat out hey it may be cheap
Old 04-05-2004, 08:48 AM

Originally posted by BustedShox
How about I clear this up real quick.... and I will surely back JL9000 on this . I have seen dyno plots with just an exhaust and test pipe gain hp throughout the RPM range. The two S2k's gained about 2.3 - 2.7 at top end power and lost nothing at the lower range of RPM's and if I can get the dyno sheets from them I will post them up for the concern and provide beneficial information. I love running the test pipe...clears up weight and exhaust flow. Thats my .02 cents though.
This is the response I was hoping for.....Thanx for your post.....were you able to get your hands on those Dynos ?
I would love to see the results of adding the testpipe for myself....

Quick Reply: will test pipe increase performance on N/A S2000