S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Wierd Rear End/Wheel Noise

Old 12-09-2004, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wierd Rear End/Wheel Noise

Here is a wierd problem.

I have developed a strange rattle which seems to be coming from the right rear passenger side of the car and I can't find the source. At first I thought it was coming from the exhaust brackets because I have replaced the cat back with an Invidia system but I can't find any loose brackets. Here are the characteristices.
It only begins to be heard when the car has been driven for a while.
It sounds like a rattle, not a grind or scape.
It is not constant . It is ONLY heard while you are turning to the left, NOT right.
It is heard in both gentle turns such as a lane change or a tight turn.
It is not generally heard when you go over a bump, even a big one or on washboard roads.:thinker
You can't feel any vibration in the drivetrain when it happens.
Of note: Previously the car was flipped and the right rear lower A arm was broken and replaced but the car has been driven over 2000 miles since then, including some track time with no sound till recently.

So this may be a long shot but has anybody else experienced a noise like this??
Any suggestions, recommendations? Ideas how to isolate and identify the sources?

I have not been able to figure it out. :
Old 12-09-2004, 01:57 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Try tightening your spare tire hold down.
Old 12-09-2004, 02:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xviper,Dec 9 2004, 05:57 PM
Try tightening your spare tire hold down.
I had a noise for a while and found out that this was the problem, but it sounded more like someone shaking a can of pennies when the spare tie down was loose.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:12 AM

Sorry I was off the grid and did not reply sooner!!

I thought that might be it too but it wasn't . I : even took the spare tire out and still have the same problem. Wierd thing is it only happens when I change lanes or turn to the left! Any other ideas out there.banghead:
Old 12-21-2004, 09:03 AM

Was the A arm torqued with the suspension loaded? Properly lubed at time of assembly? If it wasn't, this might be something that is now coming back to haunt you. A left turn or lane change loads the right side of the car. Since you had the right rear worked on, it is a distinct possibility that it was installed in the incorrect sequence and without proper bushing lube.
Old 12-22-2004, 10:05 AM

Does clicking speed up and down with the car's speed?
Old 12-22-2004, 12:39 PM

The noise is not a click and does not change with speed. Its more like a rattle like a loose bracket but I can't find anything loose.
Regarding the replacement of the A arm. The original was broken and I replaced. I did torque the assembly lifted off the floor so that would be with no load on it. I also replaced the 3 bearings on the inner CV joint at the same time as 2 were missing. Also, when I tightened the retaining nut that holds the whole hub assembly it was pretty tight but my torque wrench would not go as high as the spec called for. I did put over 2000 miles on it before the sound started.
So a couple questions.
What would be the proper procedure to torque the assembly?
Second, Everything seems to turn freely without I have bad bearings?
Old 12-22-2004, 02:49 PM

The bushings should have had a little bit of grease rubbed on them before installing. The final torquing of all nuts and bolts should have been done with the suspension loaded.

ps. I didn't know you could just pop in bearings that were missing. Doesn't the joint have to be properly rebuilt and bearings matched?
Old 12-23-2004, 07:57 AM

On the bearings. I don't think so . There are three bearings each of which just slips over one of three knuckles that form kind of a radial star pattern inside the CV joint attached to the end of the axle. Each knuckle or point of the star kind of look like one of the 4 ends of a universal joint. There are no reatinere on the bearings. they just free float inside the CV case . When the axle assembly is engasged to the rear diff they get sandwiched/sealed inside and thereis no way to fall out .