S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

why upgrade springs and retainers?

Old 06-12-2015, 12:40 PM

Received 104 Likes on 76 Posts

Im the 3rd owner of mine. The second owner was an old man that passed away. I bought my set of springs and retainers because of all the fuss. I just think the topic is over hyped. At first i was kinda paranoid about it as some of you have said, If you have not over revved it youll be ok. At the same time you dont know the history of the car.
Personally after a while of thinking i came to the conclusion that if they look good then dont replace them. But i wasn't certain so i started this thread. Lol
Old 06-12-2015, 12:40 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by engifineer
Originally Posted by bgoetz' timestamp='1434134553' post='23646377
Those people also had zero prior knowledge of how the previous owner drove the car. Billman himself contends that there is no issue if the motor is not over reved. He has even explained how it can only be caused by a mechanical over rev. He himself has a well used AP1 with 140k and original retainers. Do you think if he thought it were a concern he wouldn't have just replaced his? Hell I bet it would take him an hour.

No need to replace till you over rev, those who say different don't want to feel like they wasted their time. The worst thing will be if you do replace them, over rev, bend valves and still have to pull the head apart. If you would have just left AP1 retainers it would have been the same result and you can swap to AP2 while you replace the bent valves.

How many people in this thread are first owners of the car?
Not many, but I guess it depends how well you trust the guy you purchased from. My guy owned it for 70k before he sold it to me. He said he never miss shifted, I trusted him, but inspected them twice during two valve adjustments (it took 2 to get the feel). I will pop the VC off and likely do another adjustment at the end of the season and look at them again then. IMO checking them and adjusting valves while your in there is easier and less risky than doing the procedure. Plus your calves are alway nicely adjusted.
Old 06-12-2015, 01:40 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by engifineer
They dont just crack from money shifting. There have been plenty of people that have inspected theirs and found that they showed signs of cracking without having known of anything out of the ordinary that had happened.

The worry around here sometimes is downhill racing.

Come down a mountain road where you stay in VTEC and get to a turn at high rpm and there is little opportunity to shift or get on the clutch as you are on the brakes to make a hard turn and need to accelerate out. The speed does not drop much with a steep grade. I often here my rev warning screaming as it is set for 8500.

There are plenty of ways to break this car without bad shifts.