S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Why is there noise coming from PCV area?

Old 06-03-2020, 10:23 PM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Thomas Guide
@jyeung528 Great observation on the blowby, so if I don'thave blowby, what would cause my dipstick to pop out and also have oil blasted all the way up the length of the tube (it never did this until all 3 symptoms started).

In the last 2 years I have replaced the PCV with two new ones so this would be the third new one in that time frame (total 4 including the original), it's cheap enough to do again so we'll see in a few days, but statistically would be odd that all three previous ones failed in some manner to make this noise. I don't think any of the previous ones failed either.
it does sound like you have blowby, i just meant that blowby might not be causing the noise since the noise still exists when you remove the oil cap.

if I were you, I would try to swap your PCV and hose to another S2000 and see if the noise transfers to the other car. the PCV is the source of the noise, if I'm not mistaken, so it would pinpoint whether the PCV is the culprit, or else otherwise caused by conditions of the engine that is not the PCV.
Old 07-04-2020, 07:30 AM

Received 107 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by jyeung528
or else otherwise caused by conditions of the engine that is not the PCV.
Anyone have any ideas on what in the engine would cause this to happen?

I haven't changed the PCV yet, but I just doubt that's the cause as I've gone through 3 and they all do the same thing, so to me it says there's some excessive pressure in some manner happening.

Also can someone humor me and try the oil cap test as I did in the videos and advise (or better yet take a video) of how much their oil cap bounces around? I have no other S2000s to compare to in this manner, I would greatly appreciate if anyone with a healthy engine with no oil consumption could show how much air is blowing out of their oil cap hole for comparison.

Old 07-04-2020, 07:34 AM

Additional data point, here's the recent oil analysis, it's looking pretty good, A touch more copper then I'd like but I think it's low enough to not be of concern.

*There was an oil change in between these two but didn't get a report. I changed the oil after 15 months since my trips are short and due to the insane Phoenix heat. Honda manual states to change oil every 6 months under these conditions, but I figured every year is fine. Had a nice chat with the tester hence his comments.

Old 07-05-2020, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Thomas Guide
Anyone have any ideas on what in the engine would cause this to happen?

I haven't changed the PCV yet, but I just doubt that's the cause as I've gone through 3 and they all do the same thing, so to me it says there's some excessive pressure in some manner happening.

Also can someone humor me and try the oil cap test as I did in the videos and advise (or better yet take a video) of how much their oil cap bounces around? I have no other S2000s to compare to in this manner, I would greatly appreciate if anyone with a healthy engine with no oil consumption could show how much air is blowing out of their oil cap hole for comparison.
how can it be excessive pressure causing it, if the problem persists with the oil cap off?
Old 07-06-2020, 05:46 AM

Received 156 Likes on 114 Posts

Welp

I lost an oil cap to the firewall to pressure like this recently.

I removed the valve cover to check valve lash, but it ended up being the PCV. When I removed it it sounds like a kazoo when I blow in it. Kinda just like your video in the first post.

I replaced the PCV and the noise went away.
Old 07-06-2020, 08:23 AM

perhaps it is your PCV hose. try a new oem hose.
Old 07-06-2020, 09:31 AM

Received 140 Likes on 114 Posts

When was the last time the valves were adjusted? Valve seals could have been burnt up or just plain out failed.

Leaking valve stem seals could also cause excessive crankcase pressure and I would imagine produce the weird vacuum/pressure pulses that would drive the PCV crazy like what you're hearing.
Old 07-09-2020, 07:08 AM

I had to think about some of the suggestions.

- I think there still can be excessive 'something' (what I don't know) even with the cap off as @zze86 pointed out. I've also suspected perhaps some burnt valves but that will need deeper investigation.
- OEM PCV hose is new (both of them)
- 3 different PCV (all OEM, 2 brand new, 1 original)
- 2 valve adjustments done over a year ago by me

I'm down to a few things left:

- Swap out the valve cover back with the original (AutoZone was out of paint stripper and the red wrinkle paint so this has to wait, since the original is flaking so terribly bad I can't put it on until it's cleaned)
- If anyone can humor me with a video of their healthy engine and the oil cap flipped over the hole (as I shown in one of the above videos) to see how much it's blowing out as compared to mine.

To reiterate the symptoms:
- Dipstick keeps popping out (even with new o-rings and rotated
- oil is blasted all up and down the dipstick shaft
- PCV makes this rattling noise (3rd one)
- 1 qt of oil consumption per 3,500 miles
- All of the above symptoms started at the same time

I think I'm answering my own questions at this point, that without looking into the piston rings and valves I just simply won't know any further. BAH!

Old 07-09-2020, 10:06 AM

what is the story on this valve cover?

Old 07-09-2020, 11:25 AM

Received 1,231 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Can you vent the valve cover "to atmosphere" and skip the PCV all together? That's not a suggestion, I'm just questioning if it's possible and what the ramifications might be.

-- Chuck

Quick Reply: Why is there noise coming from PCV area?