S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Why is there noise coming from PCV area?

Old 11-17-2019, 08:19 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 107 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Why is there noise coming from PCV area?

Ever since I started consuming some oil last year, what I believe to be the PCV makes a crazy rattle noise at times. I swapped it out with a new one about 9 months ago and it still makes the noise. I then put in the unicorn RSX Type S PCV (17130-PRB-A01) with the metal nozzle 3 months ago and it still does it as you can hear in the video below.

It has never made this sound until I started to experience some oil consumption aka blowby I suppose.

What are the technical or mechanical reasons for this happening and are they related somehow? Like excessive crankcase pressure?

p.s. Since the oil consumption started, my dipstick pops out all the time and is always covered in oil like never before when I go for a reading.

Old 11-17-2019, 09:45 AM

Received 3,768 Likes on 2,658 Posts

Are your vacuum hoses plumbed properly, have you changed the routing of any hoses in the past ? You need new O-rings on the dipstick , they do wear out, try that first and see if it keeps the noise at bay, or tiurn the dipstick 180 degrees to hold the upper plastic part in place tighter as a short term fix. Air could be leaking out the dipstick causing the pcv valve to rattle.
Old 11-17-2019, 11:56 AM
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
Are your vacuum hoses plumbed properly, have you changed the routing of any hoses in the past ? You need new O-rings on the dipstick , they do wear out, try that first and see if it keeps the noise at bay, or tiurn the dipstick 180 degrees to hold the upper plastic part in place tighter as a short term fix. Air could be leaking out the dipstick causing the pcv valve to rattle.
Hoses are correct, car is stock. This happens probably once every couple of weeks. I have a new dipstick and still pops out, I turned the dip stick 180 degrees and still pops out, I then folded business card in half and wedged in there with dipstick 180 degrees and it doesn't pop out but as mentioned before oil gets shot up all over the dipstick all the way to the top. In all the years prior when I pull the dipstick out there was very little on it except by the XXXX, now it's coated all the way to where the Orings are.

All the rubber gaskets and seals have been replaced with no change. I suspect I have blowby my piston rings, but the symptoms I'm describing here seems to show some kind of excessive pressure yet an engine health test with a vaccuum gauge comes up wih near perfect numbers.

Old 11-19-2019, 07:35 AM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

this leads me to believe that your PCV hose/line is clogged or not flowing, maybe even in the intake manifold port.

have you tried replacing the hose, or doing a check for flowability?
Old 05-30-2020, 09:08 AM
Member (Premium)

I'd like to bring this back up again as the rattling is increasing in frequency and duration. To answer the suggestions posted earlier, there are no obstructions in the hoses, and no leaks anywhere and I even capped the dip stick hole (video below). I've performed multiple tests using a pressure and vacuum gauges and the engine comes back in great health. I used a smoke machine and there were no leaks. All gaskets are replaced, three valve adjustment checks, and as I searched for the oil consumption culprit, a ton of parts were thrown at it.

From the last round of dry/wet compression and dry/wet leakdown tests, cylinder #3 is about 6-7% of a difference compared to the others, which is why I suspect some sort of blowby from the piston ring as that seems to be what the results were pointing to (it was the wet leakdown that I think confirmed it). However I'm not seeing this reported in the gauge tests, I used the Honda Service Manual recommended Snap-On YA4000B Test Kit and checked for the following: Burned or Leaking Valves, Sticking Valve, Weak or Broken Valve Spring, Worn Valve Guides, Leaking Piston Ring, Blown Cylinder Head Gasket to name the big ones and the all tests put the car smack dab in the center of the range of a healthy engine. I validated the test results with a second gauge, ABN Pressure and Fuel Test Gauge and the results were the same.

All three of these symptoms started at the same time and I'm convinced they are related but I cannot figure out how despite my best research and googling efforts. It's possible the above tests may still be flawed or incorrect and I'm open to ideas.

Symptoms:
- Oil consumption, 1 quart every 3500 miles
- Dipstick pops out and is covered in oil to the very top, (replaced dipstick with OEM new, I now rotate the dipstick and wedge a business card on the side and it will still sometimes pop out...there is some serious pressure there to force it out like that!!)
- Rattling PCV, replaced three times now.

The only thing different under the hood, and it's all stock and OEM, is that the cylinder cover is new as the old one was pealing paint very badly. Could the new one be off in some spec to cause this? I could try and swap it out and put the old one back on as well. I replaced this maybe 6 months before the oil consumption issue was noted.

Here are some videos for reference, any technical help or understanding would be appreciated.

Dipstick hole is capped:
Old 05-30-2020, 11:28 AM

Received 480 Likes on 392 Posts

That almost sounds like pinging, which is weird that it's happening at idle. I'm guessing the sparkies are in good shape?
Old 05-31-2020, 03:55 AM
Member (Premium)

It's definitely the PCV and not pinging, the rattle is the small bearing inside the PCV that is going crazy. Below are three videos of other Honda owners with the same exact sound, can cut it off at the hose like me, and have replaced it but the noise still returns. I can't find any answer anywhere why it does this, what mechanical reason in the engine is causing this, the best I have is my posted theory based on the 3 symptoms.

It's happening now while driving, I can hear it at lower speeds, and in the long video where I rev up the engine you can hear it still going. It use to always stop once the throttle was blipped.

Spark plugs are good to go, this is the second set in since problem started and it made no difference. These are the Honda OEM Red Box that come pre-gapped from Honda, (and the gaps are spot on as I measured).

Old 05-31-2020, 01:27 PM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Man, stuff like this is so frustrating.

Take a look at this:

https://itstillruns.com/symptoms-mot...s-8608495.html

Is there any odor of gas?
Old 05-31-2020, 02:04 PM
Member (Premium)

@rpg51 This is helpful, thank you. I suspect Piston #3 is the culprit but I have no gas smell and the engine performs fine. The articles in that link imply that a worn piston ring can create excessive crankcase pressure which can pop out the dip stick and in bad scenario the PCV itself. If I understand this further, if I have any oil after the PCV valve and the hose that connects to the intake then it's pushing oil through there which indicates excessive crankcase pressure. Is that correct?

Based on the articles and the below write up from a thread I found in Bob is the Oil Guy and some further research I'm wondering if my oil consumption is related to this or valve guide/stem seals?

Engine Oil consumption article:
https://www.aa1car.com/library/oil_consumption.htm

Old 05-31-2020, 02:38 PM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Remind me - how many miles on your motor? I don't know why, but I am starting to wonder about valve guides or maybe valve seals. I'm no expert, but, I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night!

Quick Reply: Why is there noise coming from PCV area?