S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

why pay the extra $?

Old 05-03-2005, 09:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why pay the extra $?

i'm curious

has any one ever tried putting a drop in K&N filter and going to ur local Home Depot and get some of those weather strips or something similar, and put it around the edges of the uncovered oem air box to prevent heat soak?

not trying to sound cheap, but why spend $200 some dollars for a black tube and filter. for that kind of money(my opinion only) i would spend the money on a "Comptech" instead (looks way better).the "Gen II" kit is pretty much like what i mention. "just a black tube and a "K&N" filter with weather like strips around a factroy like box.

correct me if im wrong.....

"Not trying to start a war with "Gen II" owners
Old 05-04-2005, 06:10 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Where will you bring the air in from?
Old 05-04-2005, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by xviper,May 4 2005, 06:10 AM
Where will you bring the air in from?
well for starters i would drill a hole on the side of the oem box and then route a hose (similar to the ones that u would use on your laundry dryer) through the opening on the fender side (similar to what u would do to your aem v2).

or if i really have the time, i would contact the company (i'm sure if i did a search i would find it) that has pre fabricated mandrel bent tubings for intercoolers and turbos. i remembered seeing their ad on a tuner magazine once. thats if i really want a clean look.

i'm not sure how much those mandrel tubing would cost. but my guess is that after all of the headache has gone by i'm sure the money alone probably cost half or three quarters of the K&N. but go ahead if creativity is the subject.....

what do u think??
Old 05-04-2005, 07:52 AM

Here's the way I see it:

By eliminating the lid and putting on the weather strip edging (and you'll need quite wide strips as in that area, you will have a bigger gap to bridge than the K&N kit would have) in order to touch the underside of the hood. This essentially is raising the stock airbox lid height, so no advantage here.
Then, by drilling a hole in the side of the OEM airbox base, you are opting to destroy a $150.00 piece. Dryer ducting is cheap but would be pretty getto looking. If you don't mind this, then no big deal. If you go with aluminum mandrel bent tubing, don't underestimate the cost of getting this and having it done. You may find the final cost not worth your time and trouble over just buying the K&N.
If you are going to continue with this idea anyway, don't forget to plug the OEM intake horn. This is where most of the hot air comes in. Also, cut out the airbox dividing wall.
I think the cheapest route to go is to just punch a hole in the side of the airbox, run a cheap hose to the hole in the side of the engine bay, cut the divider and plug the intake air horn. Keep the lid. It does a great job of sealing the airbox - far better than any weather stripping you could make at home.
Old 05-04-2005, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by xviper,May 4 2005, 07:52 AM
I think the cheapest route to go is to just punch a hole in the side of the airbox, run a cheap hose to the hole in the side of the engine bay, cut the divider and plug the intake air horn. Keep the lid. It does a great job of sealing the airbox - far better than any weather stripping you could make at home.
I agree

thanks!!!!!
Old 05-04-2005, 03:24 PM

The K&N intake also has a velocity stack at the end of the tube where the filter connects. I don't think you could make one of these as a DIY'er.

You are basically paying for the engineering and name that K&N has to offer.
Old 05-04-2005, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Bane,May 4 2005, 04:24 PM
The K&N intake also has a velocity stack at the end of the tube where the filter connects. I don't think you could make one of these as a DIY'er.

You are basically paying for the engineering and name that K&N has to offer.
It's all in how you perceive the design. If you take a look at the OEM air filter itself, the base part that joins onto the rubber intake tube that goes into the throttle body is itself a "velocity stack". I'm not sure what you interpret as a "velocity stack", but looking at the K&N, it has little in the shape of such a "stack" at the end of its tube. The K&N filter itself has not such shape.
Old 05-04-2005, 06:55 PM
WPS

how about cutting a hole in the stock air box and running a tube to the firewall a la bmw z4. i wonder if the sound would travel...
Old 05-04-2005, 06:58 PM

its a $30,000+ car new

spending $20 for a shitty looking, half-assed, non-engineered part does not make sense to me.

bring your lunch to work for a couple of weeks and spend $250 on a intake...really not that much in the whole scheme of things.

Im all for fabbing and self-done modifications. But what you describes sounds like it should be on the neighbor-boy's 1987 accord. I'd rather stay stock, nothing wrong with that
Old 05-04-2005, 07:02 PM

[QUOTE=xviper,May 4 2005, 06:21 PM] I'm not sure what you interpret as a "velocity stack", but looking at the K&N, it has little in the shape of such a "stack" at the end of its tube.

Quick Reply: why pay the extra $?