S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Why are our wheel studs so WEAK????

Old 06-13-2002, 09:45 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Destiny2002
[B]

If the chrome plating is broken off.
Old 06-13-2002, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

>>This thread has degenerated into misinformation.. maybe it should be closed and deleted!<<

Why? The facts are the facts....

Stan
Old 06-13-2002, 10:07 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by E30M3
[B]>>This thread has degenerated into misinformation.. maybe it should be closed and deleted!<<

Why?
Old 06-13-2002, 10:16 AM

>>>What facts? I see (mis)interpretations and opinions. I see no facts other than some lugs have failed and some have not!<<<

Cdlena, quite a bit is known about fasteners. This is not new stuff and S2000s obey the same laws of Physics as any other car. Some valid references were provided to the interested reader for his pursuit. Feel free to check them out! Always torque fasteners as instructed under the described conditions such as dry. lube, stages, etc. I took the time to learn everything I could about wheel fastening after I had a wheel come off at Lime Rock. I even have it on video. I never want that to happen again to me and it's easy and cheap to see that through. Another variable is the wheels themselves. For various reasons some lose or hold torque better than others. If stuff keeps breaking, don't keep doing the same thing. 'Smyroad, if you take some pics of the broken studs we can even do a postmortem to see what happened. For example we can discover if the tension was too high or the seating surface friction too high or whatever.

Stan
Old 06-13-2002, 10:16 AM

>>>What facts? I see (mis)interpretations and opinions. I see no facts other than some lugs have failed and some have not!<<<

Cdlena, quite a bit is known about fasteners. This is not new stuff and S2000s obey the same laws of Physics as any other car. Some valid references were provided to the interested reader for his pursuit. Feel free to check them out! Always torque fasteners as instructed under the described conditions such as dry. lube, stages, etc. I took the time to learn everything I could about wheel fastening after I had a wheel come off at Lime Rock. I even have it on video. I never want that to happen again to me and it's easy and cheap to see that through. Another variable is the wheels themselves. For various reasons some lose or hold torque better than others. If stuff keeps breaking, don't keep doing the same thing. 'Smyroad, if you take some pics of the broken studs we can even do a postmortem to see what happened. For example we can discover if the tension was too high or the seating surface friction too high or whatever.

Stan
Old 06-13-2002, 10:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cdelena
[B]

The lug is the threaded portion, it is not plated or treated.. the nut is the chrome piece. There is never any reason to lubricate the nut.. IMO that is what makes these numbers vary so much; it is talking about 'lubrication of the bearing surface'. A bit of anti-seize on the threads means little except elimination of corrosion.
Old 06-13-2002, 10:42 AM

[B]>>>What facts? I see (mis)interpretations and opinions. I see no facts other than some lugs have failed and some have not!<<<

Cdlena, quite a bit is known about fasteners.
Old 06-13-2002, 11:05 AM

>>Totally different situations.<<

Do whatever you want. I'm sticking with factory specs and good general practices.

Stan
Old 06-13-2002, 11:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SilverSurfer
[B]Replacing every stud would cost an arm an a leg.
Old 06-13-2002, 11:19 AM

[B]>>Totally different situations.<<

Do whatever you want.

Quick Reply: Why are our wheel studs so WEAK????