S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

why no i-vtec on s2000

Old 07-29-2004, 11:12 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I would be REALLY surprised to see solenoid actuated valves in this decade.
Old 07-29-2004, 11:16 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ivtec is not outdated. it's the most advanced system there is (vanos, vvti, etc included). solenoid actuated valves are not even out in anything yet.

i-vtec has tons of potential...it means the MAXIMUM POSSIBLE POWER AND TORQUE at ALL ENGINE SPEEDS. peaks won't change much, but people in the know KNOW that peaks mean next to nothing. stop focusing on peaks!

i think the reason that i-vtec wasn't implemented, in addition to economic theories, is that it is incompatible with the valvetrain. the S's cams are chain driven, as they are in the RSX, but the cam gears are also tied to a single gear via sprockets on the shaft to cut backlash. I don't think the K20A has that. cutting the backlash is critical in a 9000rpm engine (which is very different than 8000 even though it doesn't sound like much). perhaps the VTC controlling sprocket was too large?? perhaps there wasn't room. also, the cams turn in the opposite direction as the K20, so it isn't "plug and play"
Old 07-29-2004, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the Early 90's when the NSX came out, the idea was new technology flows from the top down. VTEC was introduce by the NSX, from there the civic, and accord started having vtec as an option.

I guess now its the opposite. Economics drove honda to showcase the technology in the Civic, and RSX!!!! it just doesn't make sense.

OR....

Maybe Honda is preparing a better system for the S, and NSX. Yeah!!! maybe Continously Variable Lift and Timing.... yeah that's it. This will make the i-vtec a transition phase technology.

BMW already has a Continously Variable Lift (intake only) and Timing system. Honda can't be far behind, or ahead (just not to productions yet).... its all top secret.

So the S will will have a C-Vtec. On the Type R version, with our luck will only be available in Japan.

Then the RSX's and Civics will
Old 07-29-2004, 01:03 PM

Actually i-VTEC is continiously variable lift and timing......

It would be an interesting experiment to see how the F20/F22 responds to i-VTEC, but not likely to happen in the rear term since too much custom work would be required to bolt a K20 head onto an F20/F22 block....

I'd be curious to see the improvement in low/mid range torque, etc.... I'm sure honda's tried an i-VTEC system on the F20/22....too bad they don't publish the numbers though
Old 07-29-2004, 01:12 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by CrazyPhuD,Jul 29 2004, 04:03 PM
Actually i-VTEC is continiously variable lift and timing......
I-VTEC definitely does not have continuously variable lift. There is still a low lift cam lobe and a hi lift cam lobe. The only thing continuously variable is the cam timing.
Old 07-29-2004, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Elistan,Jul 29 2004, 08:30 AM
Or possibly Honda doesn't give a damn about mod potential of their engines, and since the F series engine gives 240hp, they see no reason to give us a different engine that has 240hp stock but the potential for much more.
i can't believe this is even a discussion topic

honda doesn't care about the whinings and ramblings of a few enthusiasts who "want" i-vtec on their motors. however, they obviously cared about all the complaints and reviews from NA that said the s2k was too high-strung, needed to be more liveable, etc. so therefore they stroked it. problem solved. offset grinding the crank was easier than outfitting the car with new cam and valve management software and hardware.

bottom line, putting i-vtec on the s2k when it's only a complaint by a vocal minority does not make honda any money. stroking the motor to 2.2L does, because that's what the vocal MAJORITY wanted. again, it doesn't make financial sense for honda to put i-vtec on the f20 when vtec is doing just fine. however, it makes financial sense to put i-vtec on the higher volume cars like the civic... honda can make money here.

also, the power increases gained by an rsx type-s VS the increases gained by an s2k are misleading. the s2k is much closer to its full potential than a stock k20 is...

also remember the demographics that honda is trying to sell to with each car, and remember what each car was designed for. the s2k is a sport roadster, its design makes sense for what it is. the rsx type-s is an entry level luxury sport compact, and its design makes sense for what it is. if honda pushed rsx's off the showroom floor with 220fwhp, i guarantee you it would have fewer sales, and not more. 220fwhp is too damn fast for a lot of people, but ~170fwhp isn't. on top of that, since it's produced in higher volumes than s2k's, outfitting the rsx with components to reliably produce 220fwhp would cost too much to make any real profit.
Old 07-29-2004, 01:23 PM

.....ahhh...you're right I read too quickly.....variable timing but only 2 phase variable lift.....

simple overview I've found....

http://autozine.kyul.net/technical_s...gine/vvt_1.htm
Old 07-29-2004, 02:54 PM

[QUOTE=fr0IVIan,Jul 29 2004, 05:14 PM] i can't believe this is even a discussion topic

honda doesn't care about the whinings and ramblings of a few enthusiasts who "want" i-vtec on their motors.
Old 07-29-2004, 03:08 PM

Here is the BMW continously variable lift and time mechanism. It's pretty ingenious.

Valvetronic

I hope Honda put a similar system in the S.
Old 07-29-2004, 03:16 PM

Maybe it is a sign that both the NSX and s2000 are going to end production soon, in that Honda is spending the research money on newer engines for a possible new model

Quick Reply: why no i-vtec on s2000