S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Why my test pipe rattled...

Old 10-19-2006, 04:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Why my test pipe rattled...

I made a interesting observation today.. i had my megan TP on my MY02, it was fine, had it on my MY06, and it rattled like crazy.. i found, the more i tightend the screws with the springs on them, the better it got, but it got to the point to where the springs would not go any further... its then i noticed that the flange on the megan was very thick... as opposed to stock which is thin.... so i got a BERK TP, which also has a "thin" flange.. and its perfect.. no rattles at all, and the springs dont have to be all the way compressed... heres a pic for some who cant picture it:

see how much thicker the flange is on the megan than the berk or stock? its because of that, that it would not fit flush and it would rattle.... weird?
Old 10-19-2006, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is strange.....OT but that berk test pipe looks great!
Old 10-19-2006, 11:20 PM

Its your heatshield.... I had the SAMMEEE problem, thought it was coming from the testpipe and tightened everything over and over. But in the end, it was the heat shield. It sounds like its coming from the testpipe cause it is right underneath the heat shield. Just take it off, doesnt really do anything.
Old 10-20-2006, 06:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you sure? it rattled with my megan, took it off, it was fine, put it on, rattled, took it off, it was fine, put Berk on, its fine....
Old 10-20-2006, 06:37 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My first test pipe rattled because it was hittingthe heat shield. When I changed test pipes, I made sure that it would not make contact with the heat shield while I tightened the bolts. No rattles.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:00 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

If you polute => you should live with the rattle!
Old 10-20-2006, 10:05 AM

i get a strange sorta of a rattle not sure what it is, high pinging sound if i am idling and i rev quickly up to around 5.5K, if i hold the accerator down and go up to 5.5k it doesn't do it, only when i quickly rev it up, it makes that sound. Is that normal? I can hear it if I'm flooring it quickly up to 5.5k as well, kinda hard to hear cause i'm moving but i can hear it a little bit. I have the invidia which looks like the berk. I might order some new spring bolts to replace the rusted one that i ahve, how much are they anyways?
Old 10-20-2006, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by crazysupratt,Oct 20 2006, 10:05 AM
i get a strange sorta of a rattle not sure what it is, high pinging sound if i am idling and i rev quickly up to around 5.5K, if i hold the accerator down and go up to 5.5k it doesn't do it, only when i quickly rev it up, it makes that sound. Is that normal? I can hear it if I'm flooring it quickly up to 5.5k as well, kinda hard to hear cause i'm moving but i can hear it a little bit. I have the invidia which looks like the berk. I might order some new spring bolts to replace the rusted one that i ahve, how much are they anyways?
another victim of the heatshield rattle. I'm pretty sure its heat shield. TRUST ME!! just take the heatshield off and see if it rattles, it wont!
Old 10-20-2006, 10:29 AM

the heatshield that is above the test pipe and bolted onto the car?
Old 10-20-2006, 05:45 PM

Do not go indiscriminately removing exhaust heat shields, they are there for a reason. Modern exhaust systems are designed to run very hot in order to minimize exhaust emissions; furthermore there exists minimal clearance around the exhaust systems because of the more compact size of cars-esp. the S2000.