S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

why are my brakes clicking?

Old 02-11-2014, 05:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do you have the metal pieces mounted? or just the bare blocks?
Old 02-11-2014, 05:49 AM

Does the caliper move feely through travel all the way along the pins? Is pad wear even?

It's definitely a click noise and not a clunk? Is it repetitive (with rotation) or does it only happen once when you apply the brakes?
Old 02-11-2014, 06:29 AM

might just be best to jack it up and take the wheels off and look for yourself. could be a simple fix. i upgraded to brembo bbk in front and forgot to locktite the bolts into the adapter on one side. gf was driving saying it was clicking. when i got back, i found the bolt had backed out and was hitting the inside of the rotor. may be something simple and obvious. good luck.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Gottabfast
Does the caliper move feely through travel all the way along the pins? Is pad wear even?

It's definitely a click noise and not a clunk? Is it repetitive (with rotation) or does it only happen once when you apply the brakes?
I don't know I have not taken off the wheel. But the clicking is does not repeat. Its only one click during braking. Is the caliper suppose to move? Brakes are mounted with the shims.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its prob. just brake pad shifting, are the pads oem? or aftermarket? ive seen aftermarket pads make noise all the time esp first going forward or first going reverse and tapping the brakes
Old 02-12-2014, 10:28 AM

Brakes are hawk HP+ installed on OEM shims
Old 02-12-2014, 11:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would just double check everything, make sure all bolts are tight, take the caliper off really quick and check if your pads are moving too "freely" in the holder - towards the direction that the rotor would move or just any play with the pad in the bracket itself, if you have your old set of oem pads still- try swapping them back in and see if its that.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:16 AM

Take you caliper off and inspect all the components, check for run out on your rotors, are your rotors glazed?. Rebuilding you caliper is easy and cost effective.YOu just replace the seals and clean everything up. But if everything looks good component wise. Re-lub all metal parts that are touching other metal parts (Not anywhere where the pads touch to rotors of course). If that doesnt work then take it someone where they can diag it if you cant. Good luck brother.
Old 03-15-2015, 06:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm having the same trouble of clicking under brakinf with Hawk pads as well. When they're cold it's fine. As soon as I'm 4-5 mins of driving and they heat up... Loud clicks/thud. I switched pads from right to left and it stopped, Until they heated up again. Very frustrating. Brembo blanks with hawk
Old 03-15-2015, 07:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 03 does the same.A very light,rear brake click.I have EBC slot rotors & Hawk HPS pads.On the OE pads,no click.

So maybe,OE pads fit a little better.

\rlr
carolina

Quick Reply: why are my brakes clicking?