S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Why does this happen?

Old 09-18-2010, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Billman250,Sep 17 2010, 07:26 PM
Best way to clean that is with a garden hose. It will completely disolve it, neutralize it, and stop it from eating away the body under the battery.

Afterwards, disconnect and clean the terminals with a battery brush.
i kinda did that, and yeah, came back in less than a week
Old 09-18-2010, 09:35 PM

Let me be clearer. That amount of corrosion and the severe corrosion of the two different metals (two colors) is of concern. The standard panasonic "honda" battery is a very good battery and should easily last 5 years. I have used this identical battery in crv's as well. They are not prone to corrosion, and after several years they might get a light coat.

Once corrosion starts it gets inside of the wires under the insulation. While not the end of the world it will increase resistance and speed up the next cycle of corrosion. For safety, the exposed hot terminal should be completely covered, not hanging on a bent brass tab.

A new battery every 1.3 years is a sign of a massive problem. There are only a few things that can cause this with this battery, bad alternator or running too many or high amp accessories. Have you checked the water levels?

The first thing that came to mind with that terminal is that there is a side load on the post from a poor installation. The side loads cause the seal around the terminal to open up and the gas leads to the corrosion. Changing the terminal is the first place to start. if you see any leakage around the post then that is the problem.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by INTJ,Sep 19 2010, 12:35 AM
Let me be clearer. That amount of corrosion and the severe corrosion of the two different metals (two colors) is of concern. The standard panasonic "honda" battery is a very good battery and should easily last 5 years. I have used this identical battery in crv's as well. They are not prone to corrosion, and after several years they might get a light coat.

Once corrosion starts it gets inside of the wires under the insulation. While not the end of the world it will increase resistance and speed up the next cycle of corrosion. For safety, the exposed hot terminal should be completely covered, not hanging on a bent brass tab.

A new battery every 1.3 years is a sign of a massive problem. There are only a few things that can cause this with this battery, bad alternator or running too many or high amp accessories. Have you checked the water levels?

The first thing that came to mind with that terminal is that there is a side load on the post from a poor installation. The side loads cause the seal around the terminal to open up and the gas leads to the corrosion. Changing the terminal is the first place to start. if you see any leakage around the post then that is the problem.
I changed the battery terminal to a new one, corrosion came back. i don't seem to find any kind of Leakage anywhere...