S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Why am i gettin crappy mileages?

Old 08-09-2004, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why am i gettin crappy mileages?

Hey,

Im just wondering, how much MPG u guys get. Im gettin around 15 locally. Wtf?
I dont vtech crazy or anything.

Is it cuz of Californias crappy gas or wat? What might be the problem? Do you guys have same prob?
Old 08-09-2004, 03:05 PM

That is really bad, mine is 24-26 mpg. Check your tires. Low pressure can waste gas. but 15mpg. that's really bad.
Old 08-09-2004, 03:19 PM

When's the last time you replaced/cleaned your air filter?
Old 08-09-2004, 03:43 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You need to run the highest octane available because California gas is not that great; there are so many oxygenating additives in California fuel - some of these actually lower the effective octane number.
Also, use the higher quality fuels - Chevron, Amoco/BP, Shell, Mobil etc.. Also, the harder you drive, the more this compounds your mileage woes.
You should consider using a high quality fuel additive to help out a little - like Redline SI-1 or Amsoil PI.
Consider running a cooler plug - an example is Denso Iridium IK24 (the normal plug is IK22 ... the lower the number on these Denso plugs, the hotter the plug).

Consider running a high-end synthetic (if you're already not doing so) like Amsoil or Redline. Mobil 1 is a good oil, but really offers little wear reduction over conventional oils. Amsoil and Redline offer many benefits, including wear reduction (I use Amsoil Euro formula 5W40). This goes for the rest of the drive train as well. Redline or GM synchromesh Friction Modified in the transmission (I'm currently using Redline MTL, but am considering the GMSMFM) and a good quality synthetic or LE in the diff (not much fuel saving for the LE, but a lot of folks swear by it in the forum - I'm currently using Amsoil Series 2000 75W90 in the diff).

I average 21.8 MPG in the city - that's with a lot of hard driving. Highway driving mileage is strictly speed dependent and can range from as high as 30+ MPG to as low as 20 MPG. If I stay under 65 MPH (hard to do) I can get at or just over 30 MPG. The mileage slips drastically the faster I go. For example - at 70 MPH I slip to ~26 MPG, and at 80 MPH I'm down to less than 23 MPG. I have a hard top that I've not installed yet - it'll be interesting to see how it will affect my mileage.
Old 08-09-2004, 03:46 PM

I typically get 24 in the city and 31 on the hwy at 80mph. Make sure air filter is clean and free flowing. High quality high octane gas and high quality oils I use mobil 1
Old 08-09-2004, 03:52 PM

im using top gas and oil....
maybe its my filter... cuz i just purchased this car used.... ill take a look at it. Thanks Guys

*** aite it think it is my filter...looks pretty damn dirty. Anyways i was wondering where can i get another air filter? should i just go to dealer and get it or is there a better place?
Old 08-09-2004, 05:37 PM

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

You can pick up an air filter from a dealer, or try some of our sponsors.

If you spend a lot of time in rush-hour traffic, your mileage might not be that great. If you feel that under your driving circumstances your mileage still isn't where it's supposed to be, you may want to get your hands on an OBD-II scanner that hooks up to a laptop and give you an idea of what your sensors are saying.

This can tell you if you have a knock sensor that is causing your engine to run rich, or if there is anything else that is contributing to less-than-optimal economy and performance.
Old 08-09-2004, 05:45 PM

You might need to do the "MAP WHACK". One of the symptoms of a misbehaving MAP sensor is piss poor gas milage. An overly restrictive exhaust or one with a restrictor in place will cause the same thing.
Old 08-10-2004, 04:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How are you all calculating mileage! I've been driving an S2000 for nearly 4 years and never see over 29 MPG, and that was at 65 MPH. At 80 MPH, I'm lucky to get 26-27 MPG. My mileage on the track ranged from 9-12 MPG, so you really must be getting on it or there's something very wrong with your car to be getting 15 MPG.

To accurately calculate mileage, you can't go by the fuel guage. Fill the tank and reset the trip meter. Then, after each subsequent fill-up, track the miles travelled and gasoline consumed to calculate your mileage. Only then are the numbers resonably accurate, but there are still the variable of filling the tank to different levels (i.e. FULL isn't always the same if the car is not exactly level and the shutoff mechanism set to the same sensitivity).
Old 08-10-2004, 05:24 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CoralDoc,Aug 10 2004, 06:54 AM
...so you really must be getting on it or there's something very wrong with your car to be getting 15 MPG.
There is not necessarrily anything wrong. It depends upon the driving and conditions. Keep in mind a car in perfect condition will get 0 mpg if you just start it and walk away.

In city driving with a lot of stops and low gear operation it certainly is possible to get 15, especially if you wail from stop to stop in lower gears with a heavy foot. When I have a tank that is almost all running errands with limited freeway driving I can see under 20.

I have seen everywhere from 7 to 31 on my car with most tanks about 20 and I am not racing around. In city traffic I see situations where there is a stop every 200 feet and most of the time I am in the first two gears or idling.. combine that with the relief of a freeway entrance where I might use WOT to get up to 80 for a brief period and gas milage will always suck.

Conditions often make a bigger difference that the vehicle.

Quick Reply: Why am i gettin crappy mileages?