S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Who knows the fluid capacity of...

Old 05-14-2003, 09:43 AM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I also toss in my $0.02 and say that ATE superblue is the best. Some people swear by Motul but they are same people who are bleeding their brakes every 2-3 track days. I bled with ATE last June and haven't had to again since. 15 or so track days down and there doesn't seem to be any end in site. The second bleed I mention was Unibagelers car.
Old 05-14-2003, 09:43 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by gernby
I haven't ever kept opened bottles of brake fluid, but it sure seems like it could be stored in the freezer for extended periods of time without going bad.
Just not worth the trouble for the $50 a year I might save. That's why I buy Motul or Neo.. I get the highest wet and dry BP's in a conveniently small container.
Old 05-14-2003, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i use 2 500ml motul bottles for every change. half a bottle per corneris how i do it. makes it easier, and has not failed yet.

good luck,
bassem
Old 05-14-2003, 10:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dlq04
[B]The numbers for ATE super blue, which I also use, are:

Dry BP 536
Old 05-14-2003, 10:56 AM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Bassem
i use 2 500ml motul bottles for every change. half a bottle per corneris how i do it. makes it easier, and has not failed yet.

good luck,
bassem
You don't need that much 750ml would work but it would leave you with 1/2 bottle left over. As I said, 1 litre can of ATE will do 2 bleeds.
Old 05-14-2003, 10:59 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally posted by cthree

You don't need that much 750ml would work but it would leave you with 1/2 bottle left over. As I said, 1 litre can of ATE will do 2 bleeds.
I know a lot of people use "bleed" and "flush" interchangeably, but they are 2 different things. If you are changing brake components (calipers, lines, etc.) and going with a different brand of fluid, you would need to do a flush, not a bleed. Can a full flush be done with such a small amount?
Old 05-14-2003, 11:10 AM
cbj

A full flush can be done with about half a liter. If you have changed lines then you will have some air in the system, so you will probably need to do several bleeds in addition to get it all out. If however you are like me and just changing from OEM fluid to something else like ATE, a half liter is enough. The problem is that unless there is a color difference between the two fluids you really won't know when you have flushed out all of the old fluid so people will tend to err on the side of caution.
Old 05-14-2003, 11:37 AM

Received 5,742 Likes on 3,383 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cbj
[B]A full flush can be done with about half a liter. If you have changed lines then you will have some air in the system, so you will probably need to do several bleeds in addition to get it all out.
Old 05-14-2003, 12:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by dlq04
With the color change it's surprising how little is needed.
Now that is too cool!
I have never had a color change to witness so there has always been a bit of going on.
And I agree, because of this I'm sure I have flushed more through the system than I needed to, just to make sure.
Old 05-14-2003, 01:30 PM

dlq04:
i think if you change your brake fluid frequently (every month or two), i agree with you that you are correct.

however, the last time i did a change on a car that the fluid was over 8 months old, i was extremely surprised: the first four or five bleeds turned up some nastiness, decreasing with every subsequent bleed. pretty normal. the next three turned up no dark sludge or anything...so i thought we were done with that caliper. for whatever reason i decided to go for one more, and to my surprise there was a "plume" of dark residue that shot out with the brake fluid. needless to say we kept on bleeding until i made absolutely sure there was no more crap coming out of that caliper.

had i used different colored fluid i would have stopped before this occured, because as you said, you need very little to get the color change. i'm not saying that it would have been any worse or better, but my guess i would prefer to not have found out.

cthree:
the above fact is also the reason why i (admitedly) overkill and use half a bottle per caliper. i figure the extra 10 bucks is worth it.

bassem

bassem

Quick Reply: Who knows the fluid capacity of...