S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Who knows the fluid capacity of...

Old 05-14-2003, 06:28 AM
cbj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pfb, (or anyone else who knows the answer)

Since you used ATE & mentioned that you had enough left over to perform many bleeds- how long is the unused ATE good for? I have heard 1) Always dispose of a partially filled bottle and get new fluid and 2) Since ATE is in a metal container it does not get contaminated as quickly and has a longer shelf life - even after opened. Anyone have a definitive answer? If it's not necessary I'd rather not get a new bottle every time just to bleed the system.
Old 05-14-2003, 07:02 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have been buying brands that come in half-liter bottles and cans (Motul and Neo) and would use the full container to do a flush. A full quart would be way more than enough.

Some race fluids are packaged with a seal and (I think) are filled with nitrogen to avoid any moisture contamination, others come in cans to minimize water absorption allowing a decent shelf life until opened.

I usually open a container (half liter) for a partial flush/bleed when I put my track pads on, use it again at the track, and once more when I swap back to street pads and then dispose of any left over, so I may use the open container for 5 days max, although it is probably ok for six weeks after opening.

I was told by a track mechanic that race fluids are best flushed in six weeks if you are going to track the car, but are adequate for most street use for a year or more. I would think it depends upon just how much heat your brakes will see.
Old 05-14-2003, 07:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great question cbj!

For me, this is the number one reason I keep using the Stainless Steel Brakes Brake Fluid. At the high cost of race fluid if I buy something that comes only in a big container it would feel to me like I was throwing half of it away every time I needed some fluid.

I like the little 12oz. bottles because I open a container to flush or bleed the system before a school. I then take the partial container to school in case I need more. Then before coming home I throw away the open container at the track because they have a huge resource for properly disposing of nasty chemicals. I just do not want to deal with the hassle of disposing the fluid properly at home, and I know I will not need any more until just before the next school.
Old 05-14-2003, 07:36 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by Triple-H
Then before coming home I throw away the open container at the track because they have a huge resource for properly disposing of nasty chemicals. I just do not want to deal with the hassle of disposing the fluid properly at home, and I know I will not need any more until just before the next school.
I have confirmed that there is no problem disposing of the fluid with motor oil. The recycle process would only have a problem with a silicone based substance.
Old 05-14-2003, 07:37 AM

FYI

Stainless Steel Brakes Brake Fluid
With a dry boiling point of 570 deg. F (299 deg. C), this fluid was specifically designed to meet the extreme conditions found in professional competition. Developed through more than three years of laboratory and field testing, significant corrosion resistance helps this fluid meet the ever increasing demands placed on the racing brake system. Meets DOT 3 specifications.
Old 05-14-2003, 07:38 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I haven't ever kept opened bottles of brake fluid, but it sure seems like it could be stored in the freezer for extended periods of time without going bad.
Old 05-14-2003, 07:40 AM

Originally posted by cdelena
I have confirmed that there is no problem disposing of the fluid with motor oil. The recycle process would only have a problem with a silicone based substance.
Thanks! This is good to know, however that would be bad for me....
A friend of mine who runs a performance speed shop heats his building in the cold and snowy winter with used motor oil; his furnace is specifically made for this application. I would be a little nervous slipping in some brake fluid to his "heating oil".
Old 05-14-2003, 07:43 AM

Originally posted by gernby
I haven't ever kept opened bottles of brake fluid, but it sure seems like it could be stored in the freezer for extended periods of time without going bad.
But what about the instant condensation when it was brought out into the warmer air, would that not instantly feed it a bunch of water?????
Old 05-14-2003, 09:36 AM

Received 5,742 Likes on 3,383 Posts

The numbers for ATE super blue, which I also use, are:

Dry BP 536 -- when fresh

Wet BP 392 -- after exposed to moisture with the opportunity to absorb it

Est BP after six months 464 *

* based on a brake fluid comparison article written by Gary Hackney, in which he states brake fluid gains about 3.5% moisture per year, which is where the wet boiling point is measured.

BTW, his conclusion was super blue was the best, based on a number of factors.

How often to change is really a judgement call. Most hard driving racer will do it after every event. Whereas, a racer that isn't pushing it nearly as hard may go 6 months. Boiling the fluid is key and once it's done that, it's time to change IMO.

I've been debating about changing my own before an event at the end of the month. It's been 6 months, with only one driving event. I've got 2 weeks to decide.
Old 05-14-2003, 09:39 AM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I did 2 bleeds with 1 can of ATE so I guess that's a 1/2 quart since it's a 1 quart can.

Quick Reply: Who knows the fluid capacity of...