S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

White Spark Plug tips

Old 01-14-2021, 06:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default White Spark Plug tips

My car has been misfiring, the exhaust makes a weird noise and the engine seems like it shakes randomly on idle. When I try to reverse out, it kinda sounds like a motorcycle. I checked the spark plugs and the tips are white on all four of them. The coil packs are fine and changed them no more than 15k miles ago. My friend suggested that it could be clogged/faulty fuel injectors but I'm not sure. The idle is rough and I can definitely hear weird popping/misfiring noises when I stand by exhaust. I checked for exhaust leaks and nothing either. That friend said I could be running lean due to the bad fuel injectors. I'm pretty sure they are the OEM ones and I'm currently sitting at 151k miles. I put 91 from Chevron and not long ago, I had fixed some incorrect vac lines. Filled my tank with some Techron and car seemed to be running perfect until recently where the stuttering/whatever it could possibly be has started up again. I checked my timing and it was spot on and chain is tensioned on TDC so I've ruled out spark, coils, and timing.
What could possibly make my car sound like that? Could I be running lean due to faulty injectors and has shown on the white tip of the spark plugs?

Link to the sound:
Old 01-14-2021, 06:57 PM

Received 1,533 Likes on 1,037 Posts

When did you last adjust the valve lash?
Old 01-14-2021, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by windhund116
When did you last adjust the valve lash?
I did a valve adjustment no more than 12k miles ago.
Old 01-14-2021, 07:31 PM

Received 3,765 Likes on 2,656 Posts

I doubt that is your issue as it would be very rare to have 4 clogged injectors. You can get a misfire from injectors or coils, coils are probably more common but you can test for them easily. "White" plugs can be normal, do you have pictures of the plugs ?
Old 01-14-2021, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
I doubt that is your issue as it would be very rare to have 4 clogged injectors. You can get a misfire from injectors or coils, coils are probably more common but you can test for them easily. "White" plugs can be normal, do you have pictures of the plugs ?
Kind of blurry but all of them are like this. I checked everything but injectors. I read similar threads that have similar symptoms. It boggs at around 5-6k. When i go under full load on throttle it makes a weird hesitation? bogg? misfire feel to the car like a burp when under load.

Old 01-14-2021, 08:14 PM

Received 3,765 Likes on 2,656 Posts

Plugs look pretty normal , those are newer plugs correct ? They are burning really clean, white is normal for part throttle driving which is stoich a/f ratio, if you were doing a lot of WOT driving they would be a bit darker over time.

You can run a bottle of Redline fuel system cleaner for good measure but I think your bogging issue is something else.
Old 01-14-2021, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
Plugs look pretty normal , those are newer plugs correct ? They are burning really clean, white is normal for part throttle driving which is stoich a/f ratio, if you were doing a lot of WOT driving they would be a bit darker over time.

You can run a bottle of Redline fuel system cleaner for good measure but I think your bogging issue is something else.

What could it be then? I don't know if you can tell by the video but it's so weird and boggs on idle and when I take off in 1st. Should I double check valve adjustment? if that's good, what can be causing it? bad o2 sensor? go ahead and check the injectors? I've ran Techron fuel system cleaner twice within a week and it keeps coming back. it went away after I resetted the ECU but now it's back and that took about a week and a half.
Old 01-15-2021, 05:22 AM

Received 1,533 Likes on 1,037 Posts

Originally Posted by adrian2k
My car has been misfiring, the exhaust makes a weird noise and the engine seems like it shakes randomly on idle. When I try to reverse out, it kinda sounds like a motorcycle. I checked the spark plugs and the tips are white on all four of them. The coil packs are fine and changed them no more than 15k miles ago. My friend suggested that it could be clogged/faulty fuel injectors but I'm not sure. The idle is rough and I can definitely hear weird popping/misfiring noises when I stand by exhaust. I checked for exhaust leaks and nothing either. That friend said I could be running lean due to the bad fuel injectors. I'm pretty sure they are the OEM ones and I'm currently sitting at 151k miles. I put 91 from Chevron and not long ago, I had fixed some incorrect vac lines.

Link to the sound:
https://youtu.be/DHH_ysFnIOU
You aren't getting any CEL codes? I'd recheck the valve adjustment. Maybe, run a compression test on the cylinders.
Old 01-15-2021, 05:43 AM

Received 1,230 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I put 91 from Chevron
What octane do you normally run? Or do you normally run fuel from other than Chevron?

-- Chuck
Old 01-15-2021, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by windhund116
You aren't getting any CEL codes? I'd recheck the valve adjustment. Maybe, run a compression test on the cylinders.
No CEL but I’ll do a compression test when i get the chance
The following users liked this post:
windhund116 (01-15-2021)

Quick Reply: White Spark Plug tips