S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

White smoke!

Old 08-08-2005, 05:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry White smoke!

Ok, so the past month occasionally when parking my car in the driveway after backing up I would notice a SLIGHT poof of white smoke coming from the tail pipes. Then this past saturday when parking, i backed up then pulled forward and I noticed enough white smoke coming out of the tail pipe to know that something needs to be done NOW, (I know I should have done something when I saw it the first time but I also suspected that maybe it was just dirt off the gravel driveway). I have noticed my coolant level has dropped a little bit lately too. I do have other factors to take into account while Im asking for help diagnosing the problem. My secondary O2 sensor is bad and also the oil in the car needs to be changed pretty badly. However, can the only conclusion that I should come to is that its the head gasket? If so, I have the Helms manual... how difficult with the right tools and everything should it be to fix in my garage? And also just guestimating how much would it be to have a shop fix it???
Old 08-08-2005, 09:04 AM

sounds like a head gasket to me. Unless you know what your doing I'd say bring it to someone as it is a big job.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:12 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

white smoke means you are most likely burning coolant. hence the reason your coolant level has dropped.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:14 AM

Exactly, and the only spot that could come from would be the head gasket right? And I know its a heavy job, but with the helms manual and all the proper tools is it something that could be done at ones garage? If not, how much should I expect to pay to get it replaced???
Old 08-08-2005, 09:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't hesitate to pull the head by myself but I've also had a lot of experience with Hondas.

If you have a helms and you've done some wrenching, go for it. It's amazing how much of mechanics is just being familiar with metal. I mean, you need to know how it feels when you hand is on the wrench. You have to know if you are reaching the amount of force where the metal will permanently change shape (strip). It also helps to have the right tools... A great set of socket wrenches, open end wrenches and a torque wrench will go a long, long way.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:20 AM

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by bobushka king,Aug 8 2005, 09:04 AM
sounds like a head gasket to me. Unless you know what your doing I'd say bring it to someone as it is a big job.
Old 08-08-2005, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by glagola1,Aug 8 2005, 09:44 AM
I wouldn't hesitate to pull the head by myself but I've also had a lot of experience with Hondas.

If you have a helms and you've done some wrenching, go for it. It's amazing how much of mechanics is just being familiar with metal. I mean, you need to know how it feels when you hand is on the wrench. You have to know if you are reaching the amount of force where the metal will permanently change shape (strip). It also helps to have the right tools... A great set of socket wrenches, open end wrenches and a torque wrench will go a long, long way.
the only problem with that is if the block got warped at all, even a new headgasket wouldn't seal it, although i doubt it did due to the fact that it isn't smoking badly. If you want to do a proper headgasket job make sure you have all the measuring tools too (and at least a day to take your time on it). Just my 2 cents
Old 08-08-2005, 05:04 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Unless I missed something did you ever confirm that there was coolant in your oil. Check the dip stick or drain the oil. Look for coolant. 2 cents
Old 08-08-2005, 05:05 PM

Also, check to see if you have any coolant in your oil...check dipstick or drain the oil. If you do the job yourself, make sure you consult a manual on the correct way to unbolt and re-torque the head. Take the head to a machine shop and they can ensure its true and hasn't been warped. If it is warped, they may be able to mill flat it if its not too bad (i.e. valve clearances). Good luck.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:18 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

You need to have a leakdown test done before going any further. You need to prove coolant is entering the combustion chamber before taking it apart.

Quick Reply: White smoke!