S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Whirring noise

Old 07-26-2010, 02:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Whirring noise

Hi,

I've been searching the forum for issues similar to mine, but couldn't find anything that was 100% the same so thought I would post it.

I've had my s2k for a few months now, its a 1999 with 83k on it.
It's been well looked after, full service history, recent service, runs nicely, etc

Recently I've been noticing a whirring noise coming from the front passenger corner of the car.
It's hardly noticeable with the roof down but with the roof up its 100x louder and really doesn't sound right to me.

The noise occurs no matter which gear the car is in and isn't dependant on whether the clutch is depressed or not.
At low speed (30mph and under) the noise isn't really noticeable at all.
At around 30 it begins to start and gets progessively louder until you reach about 60/70 and kinda levels off at this point.

The brakes are relatively new on it (it doesn't mean it wouldn't be these causing the issues though) they're not standard as theyre drilled and grooved.
They don't make any noise under hard or gentle braking and feel generally quite good, so i'm leaning away from these being the problem.

I've been thinking about it being the wheel bearing, but i'm unsure about this as from what i've read on here and heard from other people who have had one go, they tend to be noticeable at low speeds and goes away at high speed.. .
As mine is quiet at lower speeds, i don't know.
I'm going to see if I can make the noise go away through some corners tonight and if that is the case I guess it is the bearing!
I'll also jack the car up and have a wobble of the wheel and inspect it and will post up what I find.

The only other thing I can think of is whether its a pump on the engine of some sort.
I don't really have much knowledge of the layout and where anything is located, so this is purely a guess.
The noise just sounds similar to some of the oil pumps I have used at work so thought it could be this.. .

Has anyone else experienced similar to this? Or has any advice on parts I should check other than the wheel bearing?

Thanks in advance.

J
Old 07-26-2010, 05:32 AM

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

I wouldn't rule out a wheel bearing. I've had them on other cars, and I recall the noise is louder when you go faster. You may not notice a problem if you try checking for wobble. If the noise goes away or increases when you're cornering, then you should get it replaced.