S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Whining sound from under the rear

Old 11-22-2005, 08:53 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Jepu,Nov 22 2005, 11:34 AM
Actually, after the noise develps, when I turn off my engine, then turn the key back to the "on" poisition but do not push the start button, I hear the whining noise for 2 seconds. Then it stops when some of the indicator lights on my instrument panel automatically goes off. Then when I push the start button and the engine is on, the noise is back.
This more or less confirms to me that it's just the "normal" noise that the fuel pump makes. When you key ON but don't start the engine, the fuel pump will go through its initial pressurization phase to charge up the fuel system. This lasts the couple of seconds you noticed. It will shut off if you don't start the engine. Once the engine is started, the fuel pump goes back into operational mode.
OEM fuel pumps have been known to do this odd whine from time to time. The high pressure/high output fuel pumps used with Comptech and Vortech S/C kits tend to be even louder. However, this whine is not consistent. Sometimes it will be evident, while other times, it will not. It's just a characteristic of this sort of pump. Mine generally whines when things get hot, like after running for a while or during hot summer months. It can also vary depending upon the level of the fuel tank as these pumps rely upon fuel for cooling.
It is reassuring to hear that initial 2 second "ramp up". If you don't hear it, then you may be in trouble. Whether or not yours whines loudly after the car is running should not be of concern. Mine can sometimes sound like the high pitch of a jet engine. It's very annoying and can be almost ear splitting. Not to worry.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xviper,Nov 22 2005, 09:53 AM
This more or less confirms to me that it's just the "normal" noise that the fuel pump makes. When you key ON but don't start the engine, the fuel pump will go through its initial pressurization phase to charge up the fuel system. This lasts the couple of seconds you noticed. It will shut off if you don't start the engine. Once the engine is started, the fuel pump goes back into operational mode.
OEM fuel pumps have been known to do this odd whine from time to time. The high pressure/high output fuel pumps used with Comptech and Vortech S/C kits tend to be even louder. However, this whine is not consistent. Sometimes it will be evident, while other times, it will not. It's just a characteristic of this sort of pump. Mine generally whines when things get hot, like after running for a while or during hot summer months. It can also vary depending upon the level of the fuel tank as these pumps rely upon fuel for cooling.
It is reassuring to hear that initial 2 second "ramp up". If you don't hear it, then you may be in trouble. Whether or not yours whines loudly after the car is running should not be of concern. Mine can sometimes sound like the high pitch of a jet engine. It's very annoying and can be almost ear splitting. Not to worry.
Thanks! This saves me a trip to the dealership... It sure does sound like a small jet engine, and is annoying, but I don't mind if it is normal... I'll just turn up the radio and put the top down... ... it's about 75 here in LA today...

Thanks agian!
Old 11-22-2005, 09:10 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Jepu,Nov 22 2005, 12:00 PM
about 75 here in LA today...
OK, there's no need to be mean.