S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Whining sound from under the rear

Old 03-26-2005, 02:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whining sound from under the rear

Hey guys hope you can help.
I just recently started to hear a whining? sound and traced it coming from under the rear. Somewhere between the two rear wheels.
It sounds almost like a sound a pump makes when there is no fluid
It is also accompanied by a strange smell.
Does anyone have an idea what this could be?
Thanks.
Old 03-26-2005, 06:16 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The only thing at the rear of the car between the wheels that would make that sort of noise is the rear diff. I suppose you could just not get a good direction read on the sound and it might be a wheel bearing, too.
How many miles on your car? How is it driven? Has it had a fluid change? When? By whom? Any mods?
Old 03-26-2005, 04:13 PM

I'd vote with xviper on that one. hope everything is ok...
Old 03-26-2005, 06:00 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

> > Whining sound from under the rear

Sure it's not someone's wife?

Warren
Old 03-27-2005, 04:57 AM

Thanks for the response Xviper.
The car has 23,000 miles on it an for the past 6 months its only driven once a week.
No launches. The Vortech SC was put on about 700 miles back, 3 months ago.
I noticed when i turned the car on yesterday and walked around the car trying to find the sound again it wasn't really there. Maybe its only there after driving for awhile and is at a certain temp I have been hesitant to drive it for too long since hearing that sound 2 days ago.
That day i heard the sound, i drove 20 miles to work-nothing. (5k & below driving)
20 miles home - nothing. (going to about 7.5k once)
3 miles to sports authority - nothing (5k & below driving)
when i started the car - and left sports authority - there was the fairly loud whining.
i got home left the car on at idle, looked under the hood- nothing.
Listen by the rear wheels - There was the whining
The only fluid other than regular 3k oil changes(now 2k oil change with SC), was the Transmision fluid at 15k.
Thanks for your help.
Old 03-27-2005, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by S9Krpm,Mar 27 2005, 06:57 AM
Listen by the rear wheels - There was the whining
Thanks for your last post. These are the details that helps a lot. Given the new information that you can hear the whining when the car is on but NOT moving, I now have a new diagnosis for you ............................
I believe it's the high output fuel pump that came with the Vortech. It sounds like a "mini" jet engine, right? This fuel pump will not always make an audible sound. It all depends on the fuel requirements, fuel level, and how the FMU bumps up the pressure, for how long and the way the pump cycles. Next time you hear the noise, quickly go out and pop the gas cap off and listen down the hole. I'll bet that's where the whining will come from. This is perfectly normal for a Vortech fuel pump (and can even happen from time to time with the OEM fuel pump). Not to worry.

The diagnosis I gave before was on the basis that the car was moving and being driven. A rear diff will not make noise if the car is sitting still.
Old 03-28-2005, 10:42 AM

Xviper, Thanks a lot.
It sounds like a "mini" jet engine, right? = Thats exactly what it sounds like.
I thought it sounded like a pump.
You're correct in assuming i dont hear it all the time.
I feel a lot better knowing its not the diff.
By the way i did a search but could not find it.
Was there ever a solution found for some of the Vortech SC members that got the CEL at about 8800rpms in 3rd and up that flashes and after doing it again stayed on?
The installer tells me it may be the black box that needs to be replaced.
Just curious.
Thanks again.
Old 03-28-2005, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by S9Krpm,Mar 28 2005, 12:42 PM
Was there ever a solution found for some of the Vortech SC members that got the CEL at about 8800rpms in 3rd and up that flashes and after doing it again stayed on?
The installer tells me it may be the black box that needs to be replaced.
I don't remember. You'll have to keep looking for that thread.
It may have been due to the MAP box. That's the little one that sits separate from the main unit. Or it could have had something to do with the MAP TSB.
Old 05-23-2005, 11:42 PM
Moron

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...pic=278304&hl=

check out this thread also

i took mine in for the same reason i got screwed but its about to be a legal matter now...

they flat out told me not covered due to mods

AEM CAI V2, Exhaust, rims and drop thats all i got

also i got a thread in the north central texas thread but i am findind loopholes everyday honda is gonna hate me when i get done with them the media is starting to look into this

Josh Gage
Old 11-22-2005, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by xviper,Mar 27 2005, 08:37 AM
Thanks for your last post. These are the details that helps a lot. Given the new information that you can hear the whining when the car is on but NOT moving, I now have a new diagnosis for you ............................
I believe it's the high output fuel pump that came with the Vortech. It sounds like a "mini" jet engine, right? This fuel pump will not always make an audible sound. It all depends on the fuel requirements, fuel level, and how the FMU bumps up the pressure, for how long and the way the pump cycles. Next time you hear the noise, quickly go out and pop the gas cap off and listen down the hole. I'll bet that's where the whining will come from. This is perfectly normal for a Vortech fuel pump (and can even happen from time to time with the OEM fuel pump). Not to worry.

The diagnosis I gave before was on the basis that the car was moving and being driven. A rear diff will not make noise if the car is sitting still.
Xviper,

This seems to be the same issue that I have except I have a Comptech SC. You can hear the whining noise even if my car is at idle. The funny thing is, you can't hear it when the engine is cold. The noise develops after I've been driving for a while (more than 30 minutes). After that point, the noise is constant.

Actually, after the noise develps, when I turn off my engine, then turn the key back to the "on" poisition but do not push the start button, I hear the whining noise for 2 seconds. Then it stops when some of the indicator lights on my instrument panel automatically goes off. Then when I push the start button and the engine is on, the noise is back.

At first I thought this problem was related to my tranny or diff. Someone posted about a defective bearing on the secondary shaft of the tranny, and I thought maybe it's that. But now, after reading your post about the fuel pump, that seem quite possible as well. What do you think?

Is this normal or does this mean I need to replace the fuel pump through Comptech? Your help is much appreciated!

Quick Reply: Whining sound from under the rear